Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 caravan hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 AM
jpfouts1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1997 caravan hesitation

I have a 1997 dodge caravan 3.3l , the problem I am having is when i take off and between 25-45mph the vans hesitates to pick up speed( doesnt matter if i baby it or floor it ) but the rpms start to decline and the motor starts to bog down , and i let off the peddle and then floor it and its goes good for about another 10-15mins or untill warm. however if the van is at speeds above 50mph it does not do it, and there are no idiot lights on , i have tried asking autozone for help, and even tried the dealer but with no codes they have no idea.... I have tried plugs and wires, fuel filter, i have checked the tps sensor. and it still is doing it, i really like the van and dont wanna get rid of it , so if you have any knowledge of this problem or have any suggestions i am open.... thank you

Old 08-20-2011, 02:14 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Does your van have an EGR valve? If it does, try disconnecting a vacuum hose and plug the hose off. Drive the van and see if there is any changes.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:22 PM
jpfouts1
Talking

ok i will try and let you know how the results r, thank you.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:24 PM
jpfouts1
Smile

i tried your suggestion but it didnt help , so i tried the cheapest part , and it turns out it was the tps sensor, when i had originaly checked it i just checked the spring resistince, and when i got the new one i looked at both of them and found that the points on the old one had worn out which was causing the van to hesitate, now that i have installed the new tps sensor the van is running and shifting smooth, thank you for your help and for helping me eliminate possible causes.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

No problem. Glad you fix the problem.

Quick Reply: 1997 caravan hesitation