Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Poor brake response, 1996 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:33 PM
mustafu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor brake response, 1996 Grand Caravan

Hello,

I bought this '96 Caravan for not much at all, I went into it knowing that it has some issues to be ironed out. With that said, the brake response is very poor. The van pulls to one side when braking, and it does not slow down very quickly at all. I checked the master cylinder, the level was low, but not completely empty, so I topped it off. I then pumped the pedal with the engine off, but there's still significant play in the pedal even after several pumps.

I love this van, and I hope to resolve this so that the van will be safe for myself and my family. Where should I begin troubleshooting this? Thanks for any help offered in advance. The van has front disc and rear drums, of unknown age and condition.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:31 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like one of ur brake lines might be leaking. It sort explains the excessive play, and pull to one side (because you lost brakes to one wheel).
Or it is possible that ur brake shoe fell apart due to it's age.
you'll have to fix it before u completely lose ur brake.

Quick Reply: Poor brake response, 1996 Grand Caravan