Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

New caravan or used odyssey?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Pks17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New caravan or used odyssey?

Trying to decide which route to take. I like the current caravan, but for the same price, i can get a slightly used(07, 08) model odyssey.
The only problem i have, is with the reliability with the dodge, it seems that some people dont have problems, while alot people have many. while with the honda, problems are less of a worry. Ive owned mostly hondas in the past, and all were reliable.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 AM
vman1
Amateur

I think you answered your own question already! If it ain't broke...!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pks17
Trying to decide which route to take. I like the current caravan, but for the same price, i can get a slightly used(07, 08) model odyssey.
The only problem i have, is with the reliability with the dodge, it seems that some people dont have problems, while alot people have many. while with the honda, problems are less of a worry. Ive owned mostly hondas in the past, and all were reliable.

I may be biased here but this is my 2 cents for what it's worth. The 07-08 Honda's came with a 3/36 basic warranty and a 5/60 powertrain warranty to the best of my recollection. Buying a 3 or 4 year old Odyssey that is most likely out of basic warranty and soon to be, if not, out of powertrain warranty means you will either be buying an extended warranty or betting you will not have any major problems.

On the other hand, a new Caravan will come with a 3/36 basic and a 5/100 powertrain starting from time of sale. The question for you would be this, in 3 years from now do you want to have a 7 year old vehicle with no warranty or a 3 year old vehicle with time still remaining on the powertrain, assuming you are still under 100k?

It seems like you have done some research on the Caravan to determine others may have had some problems, and I understand the issue is about reliability not the warranty, but I do not believe that there have been no issues with the 07-08 odyssey's either.

Perhaps renting a Caravan for a few days or a week would give you a better idea. Whatever you decide I hope everything works out for you!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every brand has their issues, here's an example of people unhappy with Honda....
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...em-to-persist/

Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Pks17

Thanks for the great advice. I realize that buying a new caravan is great because i ll be getting the 5 year powertrain warrenty, with as buying used, i might get one of two years max. But heres another brain twister. If i buy a used odyssey, it will have done most of its depreciating already, where as if i buy a new dodge, im going to be the taking the big first 3 year hit.

Ill be happy with the caravan, ive drivin it many times already. I just dont want to be one of those guys who buy new, and the van ends up being in the shop more then on the road. Ive seen a few threads with people having transmission issues and idle/backfiring issues, so i dont know if they are just unlucky, or if its a common issue?

Last edited by Pks17; 09-01-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good point on the depreciating, which is why I always buy used.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:07 PM
vman1
Amateur

We have been in Dodge GC's since 2002. The 2002 had many issues(tranmission, head gasket, radiator and many a/c problems). Currently we are in a 2008 GC SXT. 50K now...multiple recalls that were taken care of promptly. I have done a complete brake job on the vehicle(rotors & pads)...twice on the front! I learned a valuable lesson to use ceramic pads as they don't squeek at all compared to any semi-metallic's i've used in the past on both vans we have owned. Recently, we had warranty work done on the head gaskets(2008 has an unlimited mileage powertrain warranty)...very lucky! Last week was a tie rod that caused an inspection failure. I replaced both but asked dodge dealer to find me the greasable variety & i put those on. Lastly, the wheel bearing on the driver side was howling like Ray Lewis during pre-game warm-ups! Replaced that at $300! Ouch!!! My wife loves her van however! My wife is loyal...I don't think she will ever change until the kids are all grown up. I currently think I have a battery issue...not sure the result yet! Honda makes a great product as I have owned two Accords. The Odyssey is a good vehicle but you should be able to get a 2008 cheaper than a new Caravan. Warranty is a huge consideration especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle. If you will trade it in three years...not so important. You are on the right track and you will have to decide what makes sense for your situation. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 PM
tommyis3
Amateur

I don`t think I would go for either of those, my preference would be the Toyota Sienna, maybe another one to consider if you haven't already..

Quick Reply: New caravan or used odyssey?