Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission on 99 Grand Caravan shaft removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Stanial
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission on 99 Grand Caravan shaft removal?

1999 Grand Caravan 3.8 side transmission gear cover plate. The cover plate against the firewall which has two gear shafts. One of the shafts broke and punched a slit in the cover plate. I removed the cover plate and an inch of the shaft fell on the floor.
I want to know if I will be able to remove and replace the two shafts with out taking the transmission out. I guess i will need to purchase a rebuild kit and replace those two shafts.

Any suggestions would be greatly helpful!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 AM
22mopar22
Banned

you broke the differential pin. You MUST pull the trans to properly fix this issue. at minimum you will need the pin, spidergears and diff pin roll pin. plus the damaged cover and most likely the differential housing as the hole the pin goes in will most likely be wallowed out (oval shaped).

however 90% of this failure also breaks the transmission case behind the torque converter. It is very difficult to remove the differential assmebly without removing the trans OR removing the entire crossmemeber (to me even more work because if you find the trans needs to come out you wasted a bunch of time pulling the crossmember.)

Where are you located? if you are near me (central, WI) I could do all the work for a very reasonble price, and I have low mile transmissions in stock with warranty. If you need parts, I have everything in stock too.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Stanial

I'm in Polson, Montana. I was just about to pull the cross member but thought to ask my question first. So again, I want to know if I will be able to remove and replace the two shafts with out taking the transmission out?
After I heard the shaft break, The van went about ten blocks until it started slipping from not enough fluid.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The pinion shaft is probably what is broken, you shouldn't have an issue getting the axle shafts out

Old 09-16-2011, 05:45 PM
22mopar22
Banned

you must pull the trans, the fact you lost fluid tells me the case is also broken I can show you pictures of the piles of these transmissions I have with broken cases.

you have to pull the axle shafts anyway, to pull the trans,,,,, just us a pry bar and pop them out of the trans (after you remove the other end from the hub assembly first.)

too bad you are so far, I'd install a reman trans in your van for $600 parts, labor and warrany

I guarantee you have a broke trans case too which will necessitate removing the trans anyway.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:29 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

stanial

If the transmission case doesn't have a hole going thru the bellhousing or the differentiral case, You don't need to remove the transmission. You do need to remove the drive axles to remove the diff assy. Remove the front motor mount and with scissor jack and move the engine toward the front bumper. Then remove the two extension housings and the diff will fall out. I have done it this way many times.

Quick Reply: Transmission on 99 Grand Caravan shaft removal?