Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Driver Information retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 AM
stlrj
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Information retrofit?

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan SE and would like to install the driver information consul like they have on the Sport. I have an idea what parts I need but where do I connect the harness?

Eventually I would like to install the Express Down driver window switch feature and remote keyless entry. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by stlrj; 09-19-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the harness for the overhead console / information center runs down the drivers side a-pillar and the other end of the connector is usually there.

the express down window feature is built into the window switch so that should be plug and play as long as you have power windows already.

There is a seperate RKE module on the '03 model year, it mounts under the instrument panel top cover and I doubt the harness connector is there for that. You would either need to replace the instument panel harness or add the wires and connector youself......ick.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:20 PM
stlrj
Amateur

I hope you are right about the overhead console harness running down the left A pillar like they do on the Dodge Intrepids. The only car I was able to dissect was a 3G 98 G Caravan at the wreckers and there was no harness running down either A pillar, so I am worried.

On the Intrepid it plugs into the fuse block on the left side on the instrument panel. The 03 Caravan has no fuse block there so I am wondering if they left a connector somewhere behind the kick panel by the steering column.

Do you know if there is a temperature sensor already pre-wired by the front bumper?

The car stereo shop will install an aftermarket RKE with two remotes for $200 out the door. Why not?

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by stlrj; 09-19-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:07 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stlrj
I hope you are right about the overhead console harness running down the left A pillar like they do on the Dodge Intrepids. The only car I was able to dissect was a 3G 98 G Caravan at the wreckers and there was no harness running down either A pillar, so I am worried.

On the Intrepid it plugs into the fuse block on the left side on the instrument panel. The 03 Caravan has no fuse block there so I am wondering if they left a connector somewhere behind the kick panel by the steering column.

Do you know if there is a temperature sensor already pre-wired by the front bumper?

The car stereo shop will install an aftermarket RKE with two remotes for $200 out the door. Why not?

Cheers,

Joe

my jeep liberty did not have an overhead console and did not have wiring, I ran my own wire and tied into the data wire, ground and + at the obdII plug, then added fuse tap for the fused + wire, total of 4 wires for the jeep, not sure if the van is the same set up, I followed directions for the install from others who had done it to there jeep

my jeep had the plug and wires for the ambiant temp sensor, I just had to buy the sensor and install it in the empty bracket/connector, you could look under your grill/bumper to see if the connector is there/sensor

sorry I am not much help

Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 AM
stlrj
Amateur

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
the harness for the overhead console / information center runs down the drivers side a-pillar and the other end of the connector is usually there.
I'll have to pull the cover off my A pillar and see if it's there.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Went and double checked, my bad, the harness runs down the passenger side B-pillar, the other end is the C312 connector, here is a picture

Old 09-20-2011, 02:32 PM
stlrj
Amateur

Thanks Tizzy1,

That confirms what I saw on the 3G 98 G Caravan. The harness ran down the pass. B pillar, but now I know the connector is at the base, at least, I hope they left one there without the driver information option.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM
stlrj
Amateur

Well, I removed the trim piece off the B pillar on my 03 GC and found the C312 connector. I also pulled the B pillar trim off the wife's 02 Caravan Sport that came with the overhead console and compared the two. Seems there are a few more wires on the her 02 that would match up to my 03 connector, so it looks like a go.

Next, I'll need to find a donor at the wreckers. 01's and later are hard to come by at Pick 'n Pull, so I'm wondering if an earlier 3G GC or T&C have the same connector and set up?

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by stlrj; 09-21-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 PM
stlrj
Amateur

Originally Posted by stlrj
I'm wondering if an earlier 3G GC or T&C have the same connector and set up?
To answer my own question, I did remove the B pillar cover on my 99 GC Sport and there was no C312 connector to be found. Oh well...

Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 AM
stlrj
Amateur

I finally got it installed and working. It took an order from Ebay for the console and a trip to the wrecker for the harness and plastic mounting plate to complete.

The harness installation did require some splicing for the rear dome lights and splicing the loose black/blue to the other black/blue wire for the ground.

I made a template out of newspaper for the larger console from my wife's caravan console and was very careful when cutting the hole on my GC resulting in a perfect factory fit.

Later I'll need to wire the outside temp sensor but am still trying to find out how to add two pins to the multi pin connector at the fuse box.

Cheers,

Joe

Quick Reply: Driver Information retrofit?