Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Van will not run right after replacing valve cover gaskets and washing engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:34 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van will not run right after replacing valve cover gaskets and washing engine

I have a 1997 Dodge Caravan with a 3.0 3speed. It was leaking oil out of the valve covers, So i replaced the gaskets, Figured i would pressure wash the engine to get rid of the built up oil. Washed it with it running, When I was washing the underneath i noticed that it changed sound while it was running. Went to gas it up 2 mins later, Stalled, Restarted, Moved not even a foot, Stalled again. Having had this issue once before with bad wires. Brought it home, waited till dark, Then started it up, Got a light show. So I replaced the wires. still no go. I replaced the TPS and the Idle air flow sensors on the intake. and cleaned the intake with cleaner. That made it run a little better, Good enough that it could be used to get back and forth to work which is only 5 mins away. It would still stall when i came to a stop unless i kept the rpm up. I could also hear it missing a bit. I also noticed if I disconnect the vacuum line going to the egr solenoid it will at least run good enough to drive. I also have to pump the gas to get it to run some mornings. i did it tonite and it backfired though the intake (Not afterfire). Any ideas? I am at wits end and am considering scrapping it.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional

Forgot to mention, When I floor it it will not rev like it used to. Almost sounds like the rev limitor is kicking in to early. "rev cut, rev cut"

Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 PM
22mopar22
Banned

bummer, shoulda never 'fixed' it; pretty hard for us to tell you what you did wrong with your repairs maybe you have crossed plug wires, but i'm sure you'll say you know it's exactly right and theres no way you could have mixed up 2.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:27 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Check inside the dist cap. You may have gotten some water in the cap.

Quick Reply: Van will not run right after replacing valve cover gaskets and washing engine