Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Please help!!! Van wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 PM
jonris30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!! Van wont start!

I had some issues with my battery for a couple of weeks now so I finally replaced it. I had to get a jump from a friend or neighbor every time I would either leave the radio or lights on for even a few minutes when it wasn't running or if I didn't drive it for a day or two. It got to the point that it wouldnt take a charge at all and I had to use a jump box that I finally bought when I got stuck at a wal-mart. I jumped it every single time for over two weeks. I then bought a new battery and installed it. It took all of about 10 minutes and when I went to start it the engine would not start. It turned over vigorously like I had not heard it do in a while so I knew I had a really good powerful battery(which I was not use to) but it just kept turning over and over but not even wanting to start a little. Almost like it was dead with no spark or something or no gas......the other odd thing is the first couple of relays in the fuse panel under the hood were clicking even after I turned the key off and took it out of the ignition. it never did that before. So I replaced the first three because I felt the very first one with my finger while it was clicking and it was definately that one and then after trying to start it like 20 times I felt the second one clicking one of the times as well. Not sure if it was while the key was in the on position or the off but I replaced the first three which were all the exact same part #. That was a good $40+ dollars for nothing. They did absolutely nothing.....A couple of times when I turned the key off them in the start position it wouldn't turn over like it was completely dead, then a quick turn off and on again and it would turn over just fine but still would not start......the van has key-less entry and alarm......and I wasn't thinking of that at the moment I was to frustrated when this was supposed to be a 15-20 min battery change and cost nothing and it ended up taking 4 1/2 hours and costing me $145.00 dollars!!! 90 for the battery and over 50 for the relay's.....maybe that alarm somehow got activated or screwed up somehow when the battery was dis-connected and connected back? I had to leave the van at my friends house who was trying to help me out by giving me his cars battery which ended up not work anyway so I ended up having to go and buy a new battery while I was at his house because while I was taking mine out the neg terminal broke from the battery I had in my van
. I didn't think of trying the alarm till after I got home and he lives 10 miles away so I cant just walk outside my house now to just engage and then disengage the alarm and try to start it just to be sure that's not it. Are there any other thoughts or ideas out there??? I really NEED this van desperately.....it is my only mode of transportation for me and my family and I am out of work and also need to get back and forth to college. Any ideas would help.....thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

could be the alarm, what did you do with the cable end that broke? maybe one of the ground wires isn't making good contact.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:01 PM
22mopar22
Banned

it would be nice to know what year? you should have had walmart install the battery because this no start would be their problem to solve and you wouldn't have to lift a finger

if your van is 99-2000 the small ground wire going to the bolt on the battery clamp is the most common failure to cause this exact problem. make sure the 10mm bolt is tight.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM
jonris30
Default battery change and starting problem

First off: The van is a 99' and as I stated before it is the 6cyl 3.3 flex fuel grand caravan. The battery terminal wire from the van did not break it was the battery post that broke off the battery.....and that was the first time in my life I ever saw that one happen, and I have changed or serviced hundreds of batteries before. I use to work at Jiffy lube and Pep Boys years ago. I also have always worked on all my own cars and friends and families cars, that does not make me an expert but I at least have some knowledge. This one stumps me....I have ideas of what it MIGHT be but any ideas that I have not run into would be of great help....that ground wire sounds like a start....the accessory wires are very corroded and it wouldnt hurt to replace them now....

Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 PM
gentz
Professional

do all of the instrument cluster lights come on? do all the accesories function? It is very difficult for the alarm to be set off but it could...when cranking check the antitheft light for staying on.. The only next steps would be to check for spark, or fuel..

Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you check the PDC for power? Using a 12v test light and check all your power and grounds. Fuse's and relays, and as gentz said check the spark plugs for spark.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 AM
22mopar22
Banned

on 1999's it is CRUCIAL that the little ground wire at the negative battery terminal is super clean and that clamp bolt is very tight.

Quick Reply: Please help!!! Van wont start!