Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear hatch won't open

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:00 PM
flyingkilt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear hatch won't open

Is there a way to unlatch and open the rear hatch with a screwdriver or something from the inside? I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 AWD and the locking mechanism for the rear hatch doesn't appear to be fully unlocking (by both the key and the electric lock), making the rear handle ineffective to open it.
Anybody else ever had this problem? I expect so, huh?

Old 10-01-2011, 11:53 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

There should be a plug on the liftgate panel. Just pop it off and try to unlock the door and to open.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:21 PM
flyingkilt
Default Where would the plug be located?

I presume it's down by the latching mechanism.

The big problem with trying to take off the rear panel cover to expose the latching/locking mechanism is that it doesn't look like it can be done with the liftgate closed.

The key DOES turn in the lock by hand without too much pressure -- no pliers needed -- but it doesn't unlock anything anymore. The outside handle acts just like it's locked -- it doesn't seem to be engaging the latching mechanism.

The only way I can see to uncover the latch and locking mechanism would be to take an electric soldering gun with a cutting head and cut a square by melting the plastic and try to get the cut made before the smoking plastic fumes overcome me. I do this all the time in my VW Rabbits to get at my heater cores without taking the dash out -- it works really well.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:54 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingkilt
I presume it's down by the latching mechanism.

The big problem with trying to take off the rear panel cover to expose the latching/locking mechanism is that it doesn't look like it can be done with the liftgate closed.
I think you can remove the 3rd brake light, there is 2 screws on the pull handle, you should be able to pull the trim panel half way off without the liftgate open. from what i remember, they are only held on by plastic clips once u remove the 2 screws.

and look for a plug Master Tech mentioned. most chrysler product with rear hatch has one.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:01 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The plug thats on the rear panel is an access hole for the latch assy. You will need a flash light to find the rod for the lock and unlock. Once you get the door opened. remove the panel until the repair is done.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:37 PM
flyingkilt

Apparently the previous owner had this problem before, as I've been wondering why the 3rd brake light cover has been missing entirely since I bought the van about 2 months ago -- that sure provides a clue, huh?

Old 10-04-2011, 09:23 PM
flyingkilt

I finally got it working again. I melted/cut out a square with an electric solder gun and discovered the small threaded rod had become disconnected from the clip. I thoroughly lubricated all the parts with PB Blaster and popped the threaded rod back into the clip, and VOILA! it works! I taped the plastic cut out back in place with Gorilla Tape. Now, if it happens again, I have ready access to the mechanism.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch won't open