Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Need HELP (transmission) Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:15 PM
gentz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have internal transmission failure, possibly your pump or torque converter are failing .. also your clutch packs will be getting burnt with the slipping...Time to overhaul the tranny..

Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Sorry dude
I'm not online all the time and I bowl on thursday nights. So I don't look at the messages until later. But if you are getting a whinning sound from the transmission, it maybe time for a tear down and inspect. Could be the front pump and torque converter, but thats just a guess.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM
damon

Hey guys...Friday evening and I'm ready to try and tackle the ole Caravan. Well thought I'd check wiring for shorts, bare spots loose etc. (nothing)
Crank it up go for a spin and everything is good, no noise, no slipping, but still have check engine light.
Well then I got hopeful thinking, "it miraceously fixed itself".
Took it to Auto Zone to reset the check engine light. Got there killed the engine, came back outside with the scanner and the check engine light had turned itself off. It was on when I went in and off when we came out and cranked the engine.
Wow???
Well it was short lived, drove the van about ten minutes and it started whinning again and shortly thereafter the trany started slipping again. No jerking or shudders just acts like it's unlocking.
The check engine light is still off.
You have all consistently told me it's the tranny, probably needs rebuilt.
Money is an issue, time is an issue and I keep waiting for someone to give me the simple fix.

Help me understand this please. I believe the noise I hear is more than likely the clutck packs. These are controlled by the solenoid control pack, with pneumatics. So if the solenoid pack is leaking or going bad would it cause a decrease in the pressure needed to keep the plates fully engaged
therfore causing the noise and the slipping?

I don't know. You guys tell me again to pull the transmission off and have it rebuilt and I will.

Thanks, d

Old 10-08-2011, 12:16 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Damon
There is never a simple fix, Its like life. We need to jump thru hoops to find the answers. I wish I could just show up with a scanner and tell you what is wrong with your van. But thats why I ask for codes, CVI and clutch test. Because this is how I diagnose transmissions. Just so you know the solenoid pack with make a ratchet type noise. This is normal. But the whinning sound maybe the front pump, which is not good. Try to isolate the whinning sound when it does it again and hear if it coming from the bellhousing area. I hate to see you throw parts at the van and it doesn't fix the problem.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:30 AM
damon
Talking

Thanks to you all for your help.

Quick Reply: Need HELP (transmission) Please