Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

To Be Dones

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
AlteKracker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Be Dones

Hello, I have a 2006 Grand Caravan SXT with 185000 miles on it. I haven't had the timing belt or fuel pump replaced. The dealership says that I have a leaking oil seal on the bottom of the engine. I don't see any signs of leakage or any real oil loss.
Should I get all items repaired/replaced or keep cruisin?

Old 10-07-2011, 11:45 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
What size engine to you have? And which dealership did you go too. If you don't see any oil leaking from the engine,I wouldn't worry until it starts leaking. I would have ask them show me the leak. If they use the word seepage, thats not same as a leak. A leak is when you see the oil hitting the ground.

Last edited by master tech; 10-07-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: adding to story
Old 10-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the 3.3 or 3.8 ltr engine you have a timing chain not a belt. It will last the life of the van. If you have an engine with a timing belt general rule is replace it every 80 to 100K miles. Change the fuel pump only if it is giving you problems. Ditto on the oil "leak". Keep on cruisin.

Hope the dealership wasn't trying to talk you into changing the fuel pump due to mileage or time. If so, find another dealership.

Last edited by Cougar41; 10-07-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: To Be Dones