Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Caravan, occasional stalling and rough riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM
tpf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it be the catalytic converter? Now I have that showing up on my check engine code. Could that be it, or do you think it's two problems?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:59 PM
tpf
Default Two problems?

I got the cat converter changed out (ouch!) and two days later she's up to her old ways.. low speed stalling, typically when it's first put into gear.. also some hard shifting... I had suggested to the mechanic to clean out the throttle body and iac again and he did that. Now, I just bought some more seafoam, and was thinking of dumping some in the tank? Any other thoughts?? Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Old 06-28-2013, 05:00 PM
tpf

Seems like it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor.. Just had my long road trip, without any stalling, rough riding, or crazy shifting

Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 PM
tpf

A few days later and it's back to it's old tricks.. it was doing great.. now back to hard shifts/ stalling after starting, and also stalled while turning at a corner!! Completely cut out while going around the corner. It also has an erratic idle at times.. So frustrating!! Any other ideas??

Old 07-05-2013, 12:27 AM
issakar
Captain

No ideas, sorry. But, I do commend you for dealing w/ the issue for almost 2 years, I'd have sold her off by now!

I really hope we find a solution in some fashion because I will now be kept awake at night wondering what the deal is!

Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 AM
kallsop
Rookie

My '08 T&C 3.3L stalled on corners a few times. It turned out to be a bad EGR valve, which only once set a code when the valve failed permanently and then the van would not idle at all.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The rough running for the past 2 years has likely been sending raw gas into the cat, which eventually will destroy it. So if the cat needs to be replaced, you're looking at a fairly hefty repair bill - probably around 1K, depending what the actual cause of the hesitation is. You need to find a good shop which is capable of diagnosing the problem, without hanging on a bunch of expensive parts. I would ask them to first check to see if the wiring harness is melted - a well known culprit on these vans.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Phil Ritchie

tpf, I think you should read this post. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2550634-post9.html This might explain why replacing the crankshaft position sensor fixed the problem for a while but it went bad again.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM
brandon.atg

My van did the same thing. I started running Lucas in my gas and it fixed the problem. I had a shop tell me I needed to have my injectors cleaned and possibly replaced.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 AM
tpf

Phil Ritchie I will let my mechanic know that thread/suggestion!! Thank you for linking it. Last week I had the problem again, that time he changed some temperature thing (not the theramostat) that was related to the computer. Apparently it was not recognizing the car was warming up,so it kept sending in the gas like the car was still cold. However, it was good for a week.. and now the idle was funny as well as the shifting last night. This car-- is TORTURING me!

Quick Reply: 2003 Caravan, occasional stalling and rough riding