Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Coolant leak - from where?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 PM
overbored454
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak - from where?

About three weeks ago, against my better judgment, I took my 2008 Grand Caravan to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. Stupid, I know. They changed the oil, topped off my fluids, begged me to change my air filter (which I declined), and sent me on my way.

A couple of days later, I began to get the smell of burnt coolant. I checked under the hood and the cap on the coolant tank wasn't secure. I figured maybe coolant was just splashing out onto the hot engine. No big deal. And they also overfilled it. It was a good deal over the FULL line.

The next day, while driving, I saw steam from coolant coming from the hood vents. Cap was off again? Hmm.

The steam eventually went away and the cap stayed secured. But I could still never get rid of that burnt coolant smell.

However, ever so gradually, the coolant has been disappearing from the tank. After three weeks it has gone from over the FULL line to just above the MINIMUM line.

I've squeezed all the hoses, but I can't find a leak. There also isn't any liquid on the ground beneath the van and, further, it doesn't seem to generate that smell while idle. I can only reproduce it when I am driving. But when I get out to check under the hood, no sign of seepage.

It doesn't leave any liquid in the driveway or any place else I can find it. No fluid on the inside of the vehicle, either, under the floor mats. I have been told to check there as well.

I don't know if there is a leak in the tank, the hoses, or any number of other places. It was working fine before I screwed up and went into Jiffy Lube, but I can't imagine what they could have done to affect the coolant system when all they did was change the oil, top off some fluids, and vacuum the interior.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:20 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check on top of the Transmission, I've seen few lower Intake manifold gasket leak, as well as the belt area.
another common place for leak is the splice lines by the firewall on top of the trans, where the front and rear heater hose splits up.

Altho i havent seen one yet, the intake manifold gasket could leak internally into the engine, if no leak is found on the outisde, definitely do a pressure test at a shop or youself. I think Autozone rents out Pressure testers, you could possible check with them. Is pressure tested out fine, I recommend just washing down the engine bay and see if coolant smell goes away.

there was a recall for the bad Radiator cap for some 08-09 minivan, might want to look into it, or just simply replace the radiator cap.

I dont think it has anything to do with jiffy lube, all they did was top off the spare reservoir, even if over filled, it shouldnt do any damage.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree as well, pressure check the cooling system. I have been finding the heater hose assy on the back side of the intake leaking.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:43 PM
overbored454

Thanks for the replies. I went to Autozone and purchases a radiator cap for a few bucks and the problem seems to have stopped. I have lost no coolant and I'm not getting more burnt antifreeze smell.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 PM
3.3L V6

I have a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country and I was losing anti freeze and it was not leaving any drip marks when it was parked but when it was being driven was when I was losing it. I brought it to the shop and it was the water pump that was leaking since it has been replaced i have not had any problems since.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak - from where?