Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Dodge Caravan 2.4L No park/tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Danny1976
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 Dodge Caravan 2.4L No park/tail lights

New issue that my dad made me aware off, was the park/tail light are not working. Its not the bulb, and the fuses are not blown. The break lights are working and so is the reverse light. I checked the the fuses with a multimeter and was not able to get 12v on the LF park/tail and RT park/tail. Where can I check next? I have swapped bulbs and replaced fuses. Please HELP....I have other topics with other issues on the same car and have not gotten a reply. Someone please help...I am willing to learn, thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I figured out what the problem was. The problem was the actual tail lamp. It looks like the circuit board inside lamp has gone bad. If anyone comes across this issue where the bulb works and the fuses are good, then you may have a bad tail lamp.

What are the chances of both tail lamps going out at the same time?

Last edited by Danny1976; 11-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the parking lights working on the front of your ride?

Old 11-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Danny1976
Rookie

Originally Posted by vpnavy
Yes they are working in the front. The same tail light on the back is used for signaling and the signal works, but not the tail light. So I concluded it had to be a problem with the circuit board on the lamp assembly.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Danny1976
Rookie

Originally Posted by vpnavy
I ordered the brake light assembly and I was wrong. The tail lights are still not working. Any ideas? Could it be the PCM?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lift up the fuse box, check corossion or poor connection under fuse box in all the connectors.
also remove FCM attack to Fuse box, check for corossion.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Danny1976
Rookie

Originally Posted by steak59
Lift up the fuse box, check corossion or poor connection under fuse box in all the connectors.
also remove FCM attack to Fuse box, check for corossion.
Thanks for the reply...I will check it today and will let you know. About a year or so ago, I cleaned the engine. I had read online somewhere, where new vehicles have the electronics sealed and no longer needed cover them when cleaning the engine. I guess I was wrong and now corrossion may have damaged those parts. I will check within 3hrs. For the FCM, do I just pull it out like a plug?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off you probably need to work on your meter skills. If the front park lamps work, there has to be power at both fuses. The fuses are supplied power by the park lamp relay and one fuse is for the right side and one is for the left side. Here are some wiring diagrams to help you track down the problem.

The C1 connector has the front lamp feeds and the C8 connector has the rear lamp feeds. Look for corrosion in the C8 if you are missing only rear parking lamps.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Danny1976
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
First off you probably need to work on your meter skills. If the front park lamps work, there has to be power at both fuses. The fuses are supplied power by the park lamp relay and one fuse is for the right side and one is for the left side. Here are some wiring diagrams to help you track down the problem.

The C1 connector has the front lamp feeds and the C8 connector has the rear lamp feeds. Look for corrosion in the C8 if you are missing only rear parking lamps.

Sorry for giving wrong information. For some reason I thought the front parking lights worked. Both the front and the rear parking lights do not work. Thank you for providing the diagrams. I was not able to work on the car yesterday, but I will work on it this morning and take the fuse box apart and check for corrosion.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if none of the lamps work, check for power at the park lamp relay, should have power at 30 and 86 of the park lamp relay.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Danny1976
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
if none of the lamps work, check for power at the park lamp relay, should have power at 30 and 86 of the park lamp relay.
I got the problem solved. I feel very stupid, I missed checking that first. The mechanic I took the car to change the compressor had switched relays with the A/C clutch relay for testing and put it back in the wrong place. I go to him because he charges cheap, but then I end up with more problems. Thanks everyone who replied and helped me out.

Tizzy, I have another issue with the A\C. Here is the link to the post I already started https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...tch-relay.html

Last edited by Danny1976; 11-18-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Caravan 2.4L No park/tail lights