Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Two days of brakes running HOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:03 PM
SimTech1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^----That to me would be a Special Edition SXT, dodge did make an SE version and and SXT version........that's why I ask.

I had never seen the above pictured version, must have been a limited production.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:44 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Here is the proper Fix !!!

Hi, Without a lot of explaining ! If you want to make the proper repairs go by the dodge dearler an buy enough Chysler brand brake fluid for your vehicle . Take your Dodge to a Brake repair shop only an have your brake fluid completely flushed out or bleed of all original & mixed fluids ! replacing with only Mopar fluid an your problem will go away . You may need new pads due to the fluid boiling or if the caliper is leaking new calipers also. This will resolve your problems with pressure buildup on the fine Caravans . Next time you need brake repair go to a Brake Repair shop only !!! My Thoughts Lovvorn No virus PM's Pls. or Emails !!!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Hawkman

Well, this thread is now a year old, but I'd like to bring it back to life instead of starting my own new one!
I have the same problem in my 2000 Caravan. My van just reached 150,000 KM yesterday and it's in great shape. A few months ago, my mechanic changed all the bearings, front rotors, and the brake pads.
Then one front wheel smoked like crazy and the brake seemed to be seized, so I changed the calipers on both front wheels myself.
While doing this, my helper who is an experienced retired mechanic, conducted a test with the lines, and the seizing side doesn't seem to have a free flow as the not seizing side. So he concluded that there is an obstruction within the line.
So, answer #6 by papduck seems to make sense.
I will have the line replaced soon, but my wife has been driving the Caravan regularly without much smoking or smell in the meantime.
If anyone has similar experience with the line, please share your story!
And, Merry Christmas to all you wonderful people! (:~D

Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A year old? He never came back with the solution?

I flushed my 2002 with Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3/4 10 months ago and no issues. So much for Mopar fluid only at my house.

I'm stumped but if is just a fluid change that would be nice eh? Not necessarily from Brand-X to Mopar but in the event when you did your brakes you left the cap off the reservoir and fluid bottle too long?

Other then that I guess I would look at the pads to see if they are wearing uneven, one side thicke/thinner than the other in the came caliper. If so I would think maybe the floatation pins and bores need to be cleaned and re-lubed. I had this happen on a 97 silverado and it was the lube for the pins solidified.

G-Luck,,,,,, and let us know!

Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the rims are not hot WHEN you have the smell, I doubt it is a dragging brake. I would also suggest STRONGLY to pull all 4 wheels and clean/relube the pads and sliders. This SHOULD be done every year at the most, but it is a very common missed step in maintenance.

EDIT: I posted before even looking at dates......

Last edited by b1lk1; 12-22-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Hawkman

Well, in my case, I have ALL NEW components as mentioned above, and the one front rim gets extremely hot, and the wheel smokes HUGE, so I am guessing it's got to be the LINE that has some possible obstruction in it.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:36 AM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mercy! Sounding like a wheel bearing now with the rim getting hot but who knows how the heat is syncing. You may want it to get cold and remove that wheel and feeland listen to that bearing.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:04 AM
manlee_74

had a similar problem on my 04 sxt. had brake noise...dragging sound. Changed master cylinder,all four calipers and pads,and flex line to driver front.Every time there was some improvement in performance. It was really the emergency brakes causing the most problem.Have 4 wheel disk brakes and emergency brake hardware was rotted out and sticking. replaced emergency shoes and hardware and now all is quiet and no smell. good luck

Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Hawkman

Thanks for your input manlee 74.
Normally, emergency or parking brakes only apply to the rear wheels which in my case are drums. Funny you should bring this up, because we have owned this Caravan since new and have ALWAYS used the parking brakes. Now it is not working right and I am miffed about that too! You see this van has been kept in good service and maintained well. It just passed 150,000 KM a couple of days ago!!!

Everytime a vehicle needs to pass safety in Ontario the mechanic will tell you (almost immediately!) that the parking brake hardware is seized and needs to be replaced before they can issue the safety papers. However, everytime I get my vehicle back from the mechanic, it is just thrown into park WITHOUT The parking brake on! I even leave a note on the steering wheel that says: "Parking Brake Is ON. Please Use It Again When YOU Park The Car. Thank You!" - But they never do it [:-/

My own new SUV has manual gearbox and last week the mechanic just put it in 1st gear without the hand brake pulled. This makes me quite MAD....

Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

leaving it in 1st is not bad if u have it on level ground. but downhill a no no and up hill i would want the parking brake as well engaged on a manual.

Originally Posted by Hawkman
Thanks for your input manlee 74.
Normally, emergency or parking brakes only apply to the rear wheels which in my case are drums. Funny you should bring this up, because we have owned this Caravan since new and have ALWAYS used the parking brakes. Now it is not working right and I am miffed about that too! You see this van has been kept in good service and maintained well. It just passed 150,000 KM a couple of days ago!!!

Everytime a vehicle needs to pass safety in Ontario the mechanic will tell you (almost immediately!) that the parking brake hardware is seized and needs to be replaced before they can issue the safety papers. However, everytime I get my vehicle back from the mechanic, it is just thrown into park WITHOUT The parking brake on! I even leave a note on the steering wheel that says: "Parking Brake Is ON. Please Use It Again When YOU Park The Car. Thank You!" - But they never do it [:-/

My own new SUV has manual gearbox and last week the mechanic just put it in 1st gear without the hand brake pulled. This makes me quite MAD....

Quick Reply: Two days of brakes running HOT