Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Two days of brakes running HOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 PM
nater07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two days of brakes running HOT

New here on the forum, and like many my second post is an issue that just popped up in the last two days.

I replaced all 4 sets of brake pads about 18 months ago, first set of replacement pads since we bought the van new off the lot. We've never had any issues with the braking system until two days ago. I washed the van, nothing unusual, and that night drove in to work. I noticed the slight smell of hot brakes about the time I got to the parking lot, and again when I got home. I didn't have time to take a look at things until today, when I noticed the odor again coming off both front wheels after only 6 miles of in-town driving (small town, not a city). I unscrewed the brake reservoir cap, pulled the tires and backed off the caliper bolts, and pushed the caliper pistons in on both wheels enough to give some noticeable movement and distance between the pads and rotors.

Put it all back together, started the van up again, got pressure back in the brake pedal and drove about 4 miles with only light braking when I turned around and stopped in the garage. I noticed the smell again, and ALL 4 ROTORS were hot to the touch, the front almost too hot to comfortably rest a finger on them.

Any advice on where I should begin here? As stated before, we've owned this since new, and never had a single issue with the braking system until 2 days ago. The only thing I had done other than driving was to wash the van (how that could cause the issue I'll never know). Thanks for any help. I always try to stay away from the dealership as much as possible.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you still have the old Rotors? And do you think you may have gotten water mix in with brake fluid? If you still have the old rotors. I would put just the rotors on and see what happens.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:36 PM
SimTech1
Amateur

Well not to sound like a smart *** but the rotors will be hot to the touch after any amount of braking. Friction produces heat, just simple physics.

As far a the smell, it could be the grease/oil from your hands when you did the pads. What kind of pads are you using???(semi-metallic/ceramic/other)

What I usually do after changing pads and/or rotors to to spray the rotors oof with brake cleaner to remove any dirt, debris, grease and oils.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:43 AM
papaduck
Professional

I agree the disks will get hot with any amount of braking. If the brakes were dragging then the rotors would be to hot to even touch. If you did not use brake cleaner before installing the new pads then you could smell the oils as they burn off.

If you think the brakes are dragging, then jack up each wheel and rotate them by hand. If they are hard to turn then you may have a problem.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
nater07

Originally Posted by SimTech1
Well not to sound like a smart @#!*% but the rotors will be hot to the touch after any amount of braking. Friction produces heat, just simple physics.

As far a the smell, it could be the grease/oil from your hands when you did the pads. What kind of pads are you using???(semi-metallic/ceramic/other)

What I usually do after changing pads and/or rotors to to spray the rotors oof with brake cleaner to remove any dirt, debris, grease and oils.
Not a smartass question at all, except I changed the pads 18 months ago and kept the original rotors... if there's still grease or oil on those buggers after driving for that long, I'd think I've found the most durable lubricant on the planet. I understand that any braking produces heat, but they shouldn't be putting off the "hot brakes" smell after driving 10 minutes at 55 mph only using the brakes once to stop the van like normal. We've owned this van since it had 4 miles on the odometer, and haven't ever experienced this in 4 years of driving.

When I jacked up the front end and spun the tires on Saturday, the wheels did spin with some effort. Of course, it being a front wheel drive, I'm not sure how much effort is normal with the tranny in neutral. Wife did mention after driving to an appointment she smelled the brakes again. I'll spin the rear wheels tomorrow afternoon to check resistance.

What could be affecting both sides and possibly all 4 wheels of the van at the same time? A friend suggested the master cylinder, but does this sound characteristic of a failing MC? We haven't lost any pedal resistance at all.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:07 PM
papaduck
Professional

The rubber brake lines are known to collapse internally and not allow the brake fluid to return and will hold pressure on the pads. Normally this will only happen with 1 wheel or front or rear axel.

Not sure if the master cylinder could cause this problem, but I don't think so. There are other components that might cause the problem but I do not know the system well enough to recommend a repair.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 AM
SimTech1
Amateur

Originally Posted by nater07
Not a smartass question at all, except I changed the pads 18 months ago and kept the original rotors... if there's still grease or oil on those buggers after driving for that long, I'd think I've found the most durable lubricant on the planet. I understand that any braking produces heat, but they shouldn't be putting off the "hot brakes" smell after driving 10 minutes at 55 mph only using the brakes once to stop the van like normal. We've owned this van since it had 4 miles on the odometer, and haven't ever experienced this in 4 years of driving.

When I jacked up the front end and spun the tires on Saturday, the wheels did spin with some effort. Of course, it being a front wheel drive, I'm not sure how much effort is normal with the tranny in neutral. Wife did mention after driving to an appointment she smelled the brakes again. I'll spin the rear wheels tomorrow afternoon to check resistance.

What could be affecting both sides and possibly all 4 wheels of the van at the same time? A friend suggested the master cylinder, but does this sound characteristic of a failing MC? We haven't lost any pedal resistance at all.
Sorry my fault, missed the "18 month" part of your post.

You state that you have a '07 GC SXT SE, I've never heard of an SXT and SE but doesn't really matter, are the rims also hot to the touch? Many times if the brakes are dragging the heat gets transfered to the rims/AL wheels.

On front wheel drive there would be resistance rotating the wheels even in neutral, did you hear any grinding/ rubbing on the rotors????

Did you put creamic pads on as a replacement???? If ceramic were used that could cause a smell.

BTW, stopping from 55MPH even with light braking will cause the rotor to heat up. After all you are stopping a 4,000 lbs vehicle.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 PM
nater07

Yes, it's badged SXT on the rear door, and SE on both fenders. Has just about every option Dodge had available (only missed out on the towing package).

Wheels haven't been hot, and I haven't noticed any brake smell since Sunday. I don't believe I used ceramic pads, it was a while ago, and I think I asked for OEM equivalent and didn't upgrade.

For now, we're just keeping an eye... or nose... out for any changes, and watching for unusual buildup of dust. These things kick out brake dust like there's no tomorrow anyway.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM
srs_49

You might want to look at the pads and where they slide along the calipers. If those surfaces become rusty, they can keep the pad pressed against the rotor. Though that would only affect one wheel, not both.

I had that problem on my '05 Dakota.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:22 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nater07
Yes, it's badged SXT on the rear door, and SE on both fenders. Has just about every option Dodge had available (only missed out on the towing package).
sorry off topic, I have the same set up, everything but tow package

rear lift gate

Name:  rearliftsxt.jpg
Views: 2317
Size:  53.9 KB

driver side

Name:  driverssidese.jpg
Views: 2190
Size:  43.2 KB

passenger side

Name:  passengersidese.jpg
Views: 2267