Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Fuel Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Minivan Owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Fuel Filter Replacement

Hello enthusiasts I am new to the site and have a question regarding my 96 caravan.

I have decided to replace the fuel filter went out bought a new one and jacked up the back end of my van. Got underneath and began by pulling the line ends from the tank. After I got the first one off, which was relatively easy I moved on to the next one. I was unable to remove the line end from the tank cap because of a clearance issue. So I took the initiative and began to loosen the cap noticing it was rotating in the wrong direction for it to be effective for the clearance issue. So after being frustrated enough I decided that I would drop the back end of the gas tank, the only problem there is after multiple applications of WD-40 I could not get the damn 15mm nut to budge.

So my question to everyone here is: is there an alternative method to get that blasted line end off without dropping the fuel tank?
I really need this thing to be ready by Dec 18th because I am going on a 1600km trip, and I am pretty sure the filter has never been changed.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF

You need to remove the front fuel tank strap bolt to get the clearance.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Minivan Owner

Well that didn't answer my question but thanks.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
papaduck
Professional

I do not know for sure how the line is held to the fitting on the module.

I know that the fuel line on my truck has a lock with 2 squeeze points that must be squeezed and then the line can be pulled off. I could not do it with just one hand. A trick that I have used is to use a small wire tie and pull it tight around the locks. A small wire or a heavy twist tie will also work to compress the lock. Maybe this will work for you, good luck.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it answered your question. The answer is no, there is no other way but to drop the tank alittle to gain clearance. Otherwise you would have to bend the floor up.

Quick Reply: 96 Fuel Filter Replacement