Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Dodge Caravan -- Brakes Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:58 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bleeding Screw Size

I'm reinstalling all the new parts to my drum brake hardware. The first step is to install the new leading brake using the hold-down spring and pin:

Name:  IMG_4012.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4011.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  70.4 KB

I tried and tried but cant do it. How the heck does one hold the shoe in place up against the wheel cylinder, hold the gold pin from the backside of the plate so it doesnt pop out and with the other hand hold the silver spring and its silver cap-head for the pin to slide through? Impossible for me.

What is your technique?

Last edited by quantass; 12-24-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:53 PM
quantass
Professional

Ok i think i figured it out (re: the spring and pin). I am using a 10mm socket head on my ratchet and pressing down the spring completely flat against the shoe. I then try to turn the pin from the backside to slide into the hole and lock it in place.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:52 AM
quantass
Professional
Question

Just an Update that so far so good in the drum brake reinstall. Had some issues with the E-clip but all is going well.

Last edited by quantass; 12-25-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:57 PM
quantass
Professional
Question Automatic Adjuster Lever PROBLEM

I got everything installed on the left rear wheel drum but the automatic adjuster lever (in silver) is not making "positive contact" with the star wheel on the automatic adjuster assembly as stated in the manual:

Name:  IMG_4036.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4038.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  50.9 KB

Where did i go wrong? You can see the lever is tilted upward but i've tried to jiggle the lever and it seems to be in place.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:56 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you are doing fine. That Automatic adjust lever doesnt work anyway, lol. It suppose to ajust the wheel when u pull on parking brake, but i never had any luck with it.
Just adjust the shoe to the point where you can barely install the drum manually, (slight drag when installed), then u r done.
Or you can install the drum, Adjust it thru the hole behind the backing plate until the wheel lock up, and back it off few teeth until the drum frees up.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:48 PM
quantass
Professional
Question SUCCESS & Failure

Firstly, YES i finally removed the stubborn bleeder screw thanks to Liquid Wrench and more hammering.

But huge issue now. I went to adjust the rear drum parking screw and all was fine. I had the drum removed and went to press down on the brake pedal to see how everything work. I heard a crack and this is what i found at the right rear drum:

Name:  IMG_4060.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4061.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4062.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4064.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  68.8 KB

The wheel cylinder rubber end on the leading side has popped off and brake fluid has drained out. Does this mean i have to purchase a new wheel cylinder or can it be simply popped back on. It seems i have to rebuild everything in the drum.

I want to add when i applied the parking brake when the tire was still attached there was NO resistance. The left rear had resistance though but the right rear had no resistance.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup, You need a wheel cylinder. If you just bought them, they are waranty item. even tho they only cost like $10. But add another hrs to do the job again.

Regarding the parking brake, the side with no resistance means u need to adjust the brake shoe farther out, or parking brake is not installed properly. You are safe to pull on parking brake with drums off. But not the regular brake.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:06 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quantass
I got everything installed on the left rear wheel drum but the automatic adjuster lever (in silver) is not making "positive contact" with the star wheel on the automatic adjuster assembly as stated in the manual:

Where did i go wrong? You can see the lever is tilted upward but i've tried to jiggle the lever and it seems to be in place.
Is this spring installed upside down? I thought it went long side up.

Also yea, just buy a wheel cylinder at this point. It looks like the shoes wernt seated and let the piston come out.

regards

Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 PM
quantass
Professional
Default Install rear brake drum - **take 2**

Ok i am beginning to install the rear right brake drum. I've removed all the parts including the newly purchased but now destroyed wheel cylinder. I purchased a new wheel cylinder. You can see the bare brake plate wth some Lucas lube on the 8 shoe contact areas. The park brake actuator lever is dangling in front:

Name:  IMG_4066.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  56.5 KB

I will begin by first installing the new wheel cylinder. To be clear when i begin to install the leading brake shoe on the right side (you are looking at the rear right brake drum) it seems it just rests against the areas i've lubed in green. There is nothing to slide it into or against besides the wheel cylinder at top and the very bottom, for example the bottom:

Name:  IMG_4071.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  51.5 KB

Of course i will latch it against the plate with the hold-down spring & pin. I will simply rest the shoe against the plate and make sure it runs parallel with the contour of the plate.

Last edited by quantass; 12-28-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:15 PM
quantass
Professional

Originally Posted by issakar
Is this spring installed upside down? I thought it went long side up.

Also yea, just buy a wheel cylinder at this point. It looks like the shoes wernt seated and let the piston come out.

regards

Hi Issakar. I'm putting everything back together now. You mentioned the spring being upside down. Are you referring to the blue spring attaching to the bottom of the auto adjuster lever? To me it seems both sides look the same?

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Caravan -- Brakes Question