Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Grand Caravan drivers side slidding door power door lock not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:07 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Grand Caravan drivers side slidding door power door lock not working

This is the only door that the power door lock is not working. All the others are working fine. I don't hear or feel any vibration from what I take is normally a soleniod of some sort? The door **** for manual locking works okay and don't feel any binding. I moved the flexable cable and connectors around but no change. First question does anyone have any pictures of the locking assy and what about the wiring diagram. I noticed that there are 4 wires that are going into the connector on the door. But there's only the power door lock, no power window on the door or lighting. Maybe they just us the same wiring connector as a standard harness? Thanks

Old 12-20-2011, 05:43 AM
papaduck
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motor has most likely failed. The entire actuator can be replaced or just the motor. Here is a link to more info.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ca...caravan-2.html

Old 12-20-2011, 11:28 AM
riverjamie
Professional
Default Thanks Papaduck for the feedback

Went ahead and purchased 4x of motor, as you said so cheap why not, after all there's 3 more. I took a chance that it's the correct one for my car? Hopefully its not just the harness that moves back a forth? By any chance do you have the break down for the wiring harness that plugs into the door from the chassis? I wanted to may sure that the proper voltage and grounding is intack.
Thanks again.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:51 AM
papaduck
Professional

All I can suggest for the wireing is take the door panel off and unplug the actuator. Use a analog volt meter or a test light and connect to wireing, then actuate the door lock while watching the meter. A digital meter may not give you a reading as the current is only there for a short time.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:58 PM
riverjamie
Professional
Default Update on Door Actuator

Removed door actuator, took apart and found that a spring was broken and had been chewed up by the motor. Not sure what it's used for, but suspect that it's used to take slack out of the gearing when motor starts up? I tried to cut it and reform but wouldn't work properly so I just put it together without the spring but installed a new motor. It works fine at this point, but not sure for how long without the spring? I did send an email to the actuator manufacture Invotronics in Canada to see if it's possible to get a spring ( I doubt it) but who knows. Does anyone have a used actuator they don't want it possible maybe I could get the spring?

Thanks

Old 12-26-2011, 11:37 PM
papaduck
Professional

I do not remember a spring in the actuator, although it has been a while. The spring may have come out of the old motor, used to keep the brushes against the comutator.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:12 PM
riverjamie
Professional

Thanks for replying. Yes theirs spring about 12mm in diameter. It on the main shaft and gear ay that moves the lever back and forth to move the actuator. Still not response from the manufacture.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2001 Grand Caravan drivers side slidding door power door lock not working