Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

why is the sliding door lock not working automatically anymore? 05 caravan

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Ladon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on this or a walk through of using the ebay electric motor to repair? I have the same issue with my 06 GC SXT on the passenger side.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:33 AM
fullmote60

not yet. just been too hot here in md to get 'er done.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM
asiancarp

Anybody has some pictures on how to remove the door panel and replace that actuator? I have same problem on passenger side door. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:52 AM
papaduck
Professional

I do not have any pictures but it is not hard to do. The door panel has one screw under the ash tray. Then pry or pull the panel off.

I replaced the motor in my actuator. I had taken it completly apart to make sure the motor listed on ebay by Kevioll was the correct motor. I let the van sit a few days while waiting to recieve the motor from ebay. If I had taken a few pictures before doing the disassembly would have made the reassembly a little more straight forward.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM
scotter5
Veteran

keviolli-thanks for the ebay cite for a motor. how did u determine if that was the particular motor needed. on that ebay cite there were aboutr 10 different motors.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM
papaduck
Professional

The picture of the motor had two flat sides and looked the same as the motor in my assembly. I just took a chance that it was the correct motor and it was. I ordered 2, one for a back up because of the low cost.

The motor does not come with the gear on the shaft. I held the old motor in a vise and used 2 screwdrivers to pry the gear off the old motor. It tapped onto the new motor easily.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Kevioll
Rookie

Like Papaduck, I disassembled first to verify the model number of the motor I'd need.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
asiancarp

I just find that small motor FC-280PT-20150 only cost two dollars at Sayal. Princess Auto sale this motor too, $5 each. I'm in Toronto by the way.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Gabriel51
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished doing this 20 minutes ago;
I did not take any pictures because it is not necessary,
1. remove the door panel, it is hard to pull off but it will come and at this point let me add the idea of spraying the inserts with silicone because it goes back together easy and should you need to remove it, then it will be easier. Nothing more here!
2. remove the lock actuating rod that runs back to the lock mechanism at the rear of the door. just remove the forward end for now. (black clip)
3. Remove the rear latch assembly (three torque bit screws) accessed from the outside rear of the sliding door. * do not remove the lowest "fourth" screw. Ask me how I know!
4. Remove the foam plug (large); Slide the lock assembly out of the cavity and unsnap the cables from the retainers on the door frame as you come, unplug the wire when you have it out. You can see the items I'm writing about here with the door panel off, it's really simple.
5.Unsnap the other end of the lock rod (red connecter) from the lock unit, noting it's orientation and mark it.
6. Locate the screw on the latch assembly that holds the lock actuator and remove it. Now you have the lock assembly in your hand.
7. Take it to your bench and remove the the locking arm screw (again, noting it's orientation) and remove the arm.
Remove the screws that hold the case together and inside you will see the motor, pry the motor out from the non drive end and remove the gear from the shaft.
I used a vice to hold the motor while I pried the gear off with two screw drivers, being careful not to damage the teeth.
I then lubed the shaft on the new motor (with anything) and pushed the gear on a little by hand and then inserted it in the vice and pushed the gear the rest of the way on by tightening the vice.
The shaft runs completely through the motor so no worry about damaging the shaft, but don't over do it! Just until it stops!
8. Reverse the steps above, lubing the linkages, and make sure the foam plug does not assert to much pressure on the lock actuating rod. (this is important so lube it a little also).
Time required 30 to 45 minutes, Cost about three bucks!! Good luck...

Old 09-05-2011, 08:30 PM
dmclamb

Gabriel51,

Thanks for the step by step. I did this today, and it worked like a charm. This saved me a chunk of change. I sure hope it lasts.

Dan

Quick Reply: why is the sliding door lock not working automatically anymore? 05 caravan