Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Grand Caravan shifts hard in economy mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 PM
reddoggfogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Grand Caravan shifts hard in economy mode

Hi,
Bought used with 32K. When I use the economy mode, it shifts hard getting out of first gear. Reminds me of when the solenoid pack was changed on my old caravan. Will a software update fix this?

Thx

Old 01-17-2012, 04:34 PM
crxmanpat
Rookie

This is a common problem, see this thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...ues-begin.html

Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, it is NOT a common problem. In economy mode, I believe these Van skips 2nd gear and go straight from first to third, hence u get a rougher shift shock.
Will software update fix it? maybe, maybe it is normal. You are still under base waranty, it is free to update all software.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM
jasondupree1980
Exclamation Hard Shift in econ mode

The hard shift in economy mode is present in mostly all 2011 dodge grand caravans that i have heard of..It only does this in econ mode because the econ mode make the transmission shift to a higher gear sooner than it actually should to reserve fuel...I have done all available software updates from the manufacturer & done aftermarket hardware upgrades (now removed) and none of these fixed the hard shift..Being that this thing is a rolling computer most everything is operated electronically now and 1 option would be a performance tuner & leaving econ mode OFF. That is about the only way to maximize your fuel eficiency without the hard shifting and abnormal damage to your transmission..There is some other aftermarket modifications you could make, however the tuner is the most cost efficient & will give the best results..Tires graded for the terrain you travel on most is another way to increase fuel efficiency.

MY TIPS---

1) DO NOT use econ mode for in town driving as this attributes to the hard shift and over time the hard shifts will attribute to untimely transmission repairs.

2) ONLY USE the econ mode when travelling at highway speeds to reduce the hard shift and save wear & tear on your van.

3) ECON button ONLY gives you an additional 1-2 mpg so if you can live without it DO NOT use it. In most instances the econ button is rated to give 1.5mpg of additional travel so as you can see the additional wear & tear is NOT WORTH IT

Hope this helps your decision making

Jason

Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 PM
homedad40

I aggree, I have the 2012 SXT which does the same thing , I NEVER use the econ button for that VERY reason , I only use it on the hwy at cruising speed for long distance travel as long as there is no frequent lane changes or slow down /speed ups too often ...

Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 AM
RenHoek

I've got a 2011 and I only notice the hard shift when the motor's cold or when I start it up and pull away immediately. I've taken to letting the car idle a moment, then shift into D, idle a moment more and then drive away. I never notice the hard shift while driving normally. I just turned over 40k on the odo and I'm gonna do a full service on it next time I take it in.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Pudntane
Default Hard Shift into 2nd gear

I have a new 2012 Grand Caravan which had the rough shifting problem. There is a computer update bulletin to fix this. After performing the upgrade, mine drives like a whole different vehicle. You can't make it shift rough if you try.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 PM
sbestca

I have 4000kms on my 2012.
I was using the econ switch and noticed the hard shifts.
Since leaving it off the shifts have smoothed out and no noticeable change in economy, which I am tracking closely.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:18 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Those who owns a dodge and Town and country with econ switches. With the vehicle in econ mode, This is a normal shift pattern for the 62TE transmission. I am ask this question everytime i road test with a customer. A update on the vehicle may not fix the harsh shift in econ mode. From my understanding, that may one of the reason dodge may not ofter the 62TE transmission after 2013. They will start replacing it with Hyundai 6 speed automatic transmission.

Last edited by master tech; 11-05-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: adding to story
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 AM
wrdperflady
Default Common problem

I have owned my 2011 for 2 years, but haven't always used the econ mode. Lately, I have and I started having the shifting problems detailed by others. I had the thing towed to the dealership and they found nothing wrong. The mechanic told me he had 3 in this week with the same problem. He said econ mode is for when you are cruising on the interstate. It's not supposed to be used all the time and can cause problems when used elsewhere. He said when I get off the interstate, turn it off. It is now shifting normally and I don't plan to ever use it again, frankly.

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Caravan shifts hard in economy mode