Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Back LCD on VES not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:10 PM
jeedee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back LCD on VES not working

Hi I have a dosge grand caravan 2008 with a build in VES and a REN radio, about a week ago the ves started to act funny, first I couldn't see the sirius SAT TV, the escreen will only show black, then the back LCD stop working and all of the sudden the entire back VES system wouldn't work

I took the car to the Dealer and they told me the back LCD was bad and need it to be replace and it will cost $700 plust tax to replace it.

I do not have that kind of money lain around just for an 7' lcd, and it takes the hole purpose of getting this van since one of the main reasons I purchase it was because of the intertaiment system

Has anyone here have a similar issue and was able to resolve it in another way, could it be just a harnest cable or something like that that could be replace?

Thank you in advance for any help

Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Montreal300
Professional

Check out ebay for something similar to your LCD screens. Most of them have audio and video inputs that allow you to link them. The alternative is that they operate independently with dedicated headphones for each screen. The power, ground, video and audio cables are already there in the van so the choice is yours. Our van has three independent aftermarket LCD screens, one for each row and each one can play a different DVD or the same DVD from the aftermarket headunit. Each row has wireless headphones as well.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 PM
jeedee

I will check on ebay but I I am not sure what to get, also I will have to get someone to install it for me, Thank you for the suggestion

Anyone else has other alternatives?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

probabably harder to find but find scrap yards. one vehicle could of been totalled out with one they could sell you.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:14 AM
jeedee

I think I found a screen PART NUMBER: P1CM00DW1AH, 1CM01DW1AH, if I want to change it my self, is it easy to change? is there a how to anywahere?

Also do I need to do any programing or is it a simple exchange?

How do I know if the damage is the screen or the cable that goes in to the main unit?

Thank you

Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Montreal300
Professional

No programing is required. Very difficult to now if it's the cable or screen unless you have the electrical specification. Didn't the dealer say it was the screen?
As to doing it yourself, I don't know exactly what you have.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 PM
jeedee

Before going to the dealer the second screen was not working but the first one was, after going to the dealer nothing is working, neither back DVD or sat video

I called them today and ask them if the tech disconnected something they said they only did the diagnostic by connecting the car to the computer and reading the error message

I was thinking maybe if I open it and make sure all connections are ok and there is nothing loose

I have a dodge grand caravan 08 with the dual overhead screens

Thank you

Old 01-31-2012, 08:16 PM
jeedee

Ok here is a new development,

Today I turn on the car and all of the sudden the dashboard keep like resetting it self, it will flash al light will come bck and will beep like when you first turn the car, it keep doing that even while I was driving

Then I saw that one of the back screen was open and I clode it, the ressetting stop and everything when back to normal, I try to open the screen again and the car when crazy once more.

Could all this be cause by a loose connecting and not the screen? this is driving me nuts

Old 02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Montreal300
Professional

Not good! Here's my take on this but I could be wrong. If your screens can be read with a diagnostic scanner then they must be connected to the CanBus. This is the main communication "bus" or highway between all of the computer contolled devices on your van.
So, with the screen open, the device was trying to talk to the CanBus to say "hello I'm here" except all the bus got was a garbled message so it freaked out and messed up the dash systems. When the CanBus freaks out a lot of things go a little nuts.
I would disconnect the offending screen now! Take it apart and look for a short in the wires that are a twisted pair. That's the CanBus. See if the other screen works with the faulty one disconnected.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 PM
jeedee

OMG that does nto sound good

When I took it to the dealer I was told the bad screen was the second one, but all this crazines happen when the first screen was open and not the second one

Thank you for your advice, this is so frustrating hope I can find a solution soon

I will try to take apart the screens and check the connections and will post any results

Quick Reply: Back LCD on VES not working