Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Grand Caravan Crew Pulls to right

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:31 PM
NewVanDad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Grand Caravan Crew Pulls to right

Has anybody else had or heard of 2011 GC's pulling to the right? I bought mine in Jan 2012, and since day one the steering wheel has been off center, and it has pulled to the right. The dealer I purchased it from was unable to correct in 4 tries. I brought it to another dealer, and they made it better, but it still pulls. I informed them of RRT 11-061. They said the alignment was in spec, and there is nothing else they can do. Any ideas? Chrysler Customer Complaint line did absolutely nothing to help.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Has the tire problem been fix yet? That could be why the van is pulling or drifting.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:44 AM
NewVanDad

They rotated and moved the tires to different positions and test drove it after every change. It still pulled exactly the same. The second dealership said they "shifted" the suspension to compensate for the pull. Made it much better, but I still have to keep pressure on the left side of the steering wheel to stay going straight on the highway, even on the left side of the crown in the road. The original dealership kept saying this pull was normal, but refused to let me test drive another new DGC or swap the wheels off of another just to test drive and see if the tires were the issue.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:04 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Another person hit by the growing problem from Dodge dealers who could care less about you after the sale.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 PM
NewVanDad

Why would the dealership care about you after the sale? I was told by the dealership and Chrysler themselves, that Chrysler has absolutely no control over the dealerships. The dealership must try to get Chrysler to pay them for warrantee work, otherwise it is in the dealerships best intrests to make the customer pay for as much as possible. Chrysler in no way can force a dealership to take care of a customer. Chrysler's answer to my problem, after a week waiting for a response.. Take the car to a different dealership. So now the dealership that sold me the car does not want to replace the tires that they ruined, because the failed to move the car for months. Michelin says the Dealership is at fault.. they must replace the tires. The dealership says "make us", "go away" Chrysler says.. take it to a different dealership.. and another dealership says... "you should have bought the van from us... go back to the dealer you bought it from" So how do I get any sort of satisfaction? A NEW car should come with NEW tires..

Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

It use to be that the tires are covered for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles by Dodge or the dealership. I have never seen or heard of a Michelin tire have problems like flat spots from sitting and am surprised they were not taken care of by a Michelin dealer. Can you try a different Michelin dealer? BTW the last time until Kumho had problems back in 2010 I had not seen or heard of a tire have flat spots from sitting since in the early 1970's bias glass belted tires.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 PM
NewVanDad

Ok... took the family out to the zoo on Monday, about 160 miles round trip, all on the turnpike.. I was fighting the wheel the entire way. The van wants to pull to the right. I can not figure out what is causing this. All the alignment specs are in the green. they even went as far as to adjust it so that it would negate any crown pull. I must keep steady pressure on the left side of the wheel to keep it going straight. I notice it gets MUCH worse when I am accelerating, not gunning it mind you, but just a normal acceleration... I notice it almost goes away once I let off the gas and coast. I thought maybe the brakes were dragging since I have seen a huge build up of brake dust on the rear wheels. That can't be it. I also thought there is a problem with the diff in the transmission, since I have been having issues with shudder in reverse and clunking in second and third gear. I am completely at my wits end trying to troubleshoot this car. The dealership is not going to go too far out of their way to make sure it is perfect. I cant afford to keep going back and forth the 30 miles to the dealership. Does anyone have any clue as to what this possibly may be? Two different dealerships have tried to fix this. (5) alignment jobs and tire rotations.. suspension adjustment "whatever that means" to compensate for percieved road crown pull. A rapid responce fix to center the steering wheel "which still is not centered" (4) force balancing the tires. (1) new tire to replace one out of round.. They even tried to trick me at the purchasing dealership by letting 10 psi of air out of the two left hand tires to show the car drives straight on a test drive.. "thankfully I had a tire gauge in the glove compartment" I have driven countless different types of cars and trucks. I know how a car should behave, especially on a freshly paved interstate highway. Something is wrong, and Chrysler does not want to admit there is.. They even refused to let me test drive another 2011 GC to let me see if the same thing happens with that one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am so distraught when driving this vehicle.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:55 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Did they do a four wheel alignment? My brother had an alignment issue with 1999 truck. He had no satisfaction from the dealers... Finally he took it to a good alignment shop, and they pinpointed the problem, added shims and shifted the rear end - then it tracked perfectly.

I had a similar problem with a 95 Chevy 1500 short bed truck I bought new. Dealer said it was in spec, but I'd ruin my tires quickly. Took it to a good shop, they removed the upper control arms - knocked out the factory stops so they could fully align... and aligned it perfectly - never had another alignment for 10 years. Sold it and it was still perfect driving.

If, prior to purchase, your van was run over a curb or pulled down bad on the trailer, could be a damage thing - and a good alignment shop should be able to write up or fix your problem.

Keep all your docs! If you can't get it fixed, lemon law it.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the van tracking straight, as stated, meaning are the rear wheels following directly behind the front? Have someone drive the van with you following behind and have a look. If it looks off it might pay to have a body shop check the frame alignment for you, new van or not.

Barrow or buy an IR thermometer. Drive it a bit then immediately check the temps at all for wheels. May reveal a dragging brake, failing bearings or who knows what.

Last edited by Cougar41; 02-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:49 PM
pacific
Amateur

Hi, I have the same problem, 2011 Grand Caravan pulls to the right, even when the road is flat (no crown).
It's been into the dealer 4 times at the oil changes, with me complaining each time. It was fixed once, but came back. Another problem that fixed it was a low-pressure tire (fixed). However, it is doing it again. Tires are being rotated at the appropriate times. Still happening.

So the pulling to the right is most noticeable on the freeway. It's a minor thing, but very annoying for a brand new vehicle.
I will be moving over to a different dealer next oil change/checkup.

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Caravan Crew Pulls to right