Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

weird brake problem. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM
trevrrr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird brake problem. Please help

Hi. I'm new here and in need of some help. I have a 1996 dodge grand caravan.
This is my first winter owning the vehicle. The other morning i went to go to work and i had no brake pedal at all... but could stop the vehicle slowly but essentially there is no brakes.... i nursed it to work.. there are no leaks in the system and there are no warning lights. later when done work and when the temp was much warmer i get in the van and it has brakes? the same thing occurs the next two morning... i did some searching on the forums here and on the net and thought perhaps the one way check valve for the booster might be freezing up.. i replaced the part but still today the problem persists... I cannot think of what it could be... i have no assist and very little manual brakes when its is cold in the am. and later in the day i have regular stiff pedal brakes?? any ideas would be great...

Old 02-16-2012, 12:43 PM
trevrrr

nobody?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
zero10
Professional

If you are losing power assist either the booster is faulty or the vacuum supply to the booster is faulty. You need to figure out which one it is, I'd recommend checking the vacuum line from end to end for any cracks or loose fittings, hopefully its something simple.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM
trevrrr

thats why i changed the check valve... the hose seemed ok.... but why only when the car has been sitting in freezing weather i have no breaks and then when it goes above freezing i seem to have breaks.. ill re check the hose

Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trevrrr
thats why i changed the check valve... the hose seemed ok.... but why only when the car has been sitting in freezing weather i have no breaks and then when it goes above freezing i seem to have breaks.. ill re check the hose
Sounds like a worn seal either in the booster or master cylinder is contracting in the cold then expanding as it gets warm. Read through this to test: http://www.classicperform.com/TechBo...oubleshoot.htm

Quick Reply: weird brake problem. Please help