Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Best wax for OLD Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Droop Along
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best wax for OLD Paint?

Hi, I have a 12 year old Caravan Which is dark blue. She's covered with scratches. But the paint is still nice and shiny and it actually looks pretty good (from 30 feet away). So I like to keep it washed and waxed. The problem: The wax dries white in the scratches making them stand out like crazy! I'm not super picky but I like the van to look as good as possible for it's age. Without repainting the van, is their a wax I can use which won't make the scratches stand out? Or should I just leave the van dirty and go have a beer.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 AM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the scratches are that visible, sounds like you should consider spending a few bucks and having it professionally power polished. It's amazing what can be buffed out with a little effort. The alternative is to get yourself some rubbing compound and doing it yourself. Follow the directions, take your time (and it will take some time) and you can really minimize the scratches on the finish. Then when you wax those areas, the polish won't be as likely to show the white powder. Frankly, depending on what the scratches look like, that white powder can usually be cleaned up after waxing by taking a soft bristle toothbrush and going over the scratch areas, then lightly buffing with a towel again.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:45 PM
TJeepman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the scratches may be through the surface layer of paint or you didn't use enough elbow grease when buffing.

Nu Finish Scratch Doctor may be worth a try. http://www.amazon.com/Nu-Finish-NFS-...ews/B000AME50Y

It may be the cat's meow for you but keep in mind that no wax is going to replace missing paint. If it's just the clear coat that is scratched, you should be fine.

Good luck.

Last edited by TJeepman; 03-13-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Best wax for OLD Paint?