Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Grand Caravan 3.8L ignition problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:03 AM
neronis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Grand Caravan 3.8L ignition problems?

I have a 2002 Grand Caravan 3.8L 104k miles that was stolen and then recovered about 2 years ago and the thief did quite a number on the ignition (no longer requires a specific key to start engine, doesn't require key to be in the ignition once engine is running, etc.)

My issue is the van will start normally cold. once it's been running for a random amount of time without issue (literally minutes or sometimes weeks) it will stall out. Or rather it seems like the engine was instantly turned off. there is no sputter or anything, just dead. There is no loss of power to any gauges, lights, a/c, radio anything. The engine just ceases to function. like it was turned off.

The speed and gear don't seem to make a difference. It's happened at the stop light, it's happened going 65 on the interstate.

Occasionally when I'm coasting to a stop in the break-down lane the engine will restart itself.

Sometimes after the engine dies I can turn the key and it will start, other times it won't. Sometimes I remove the keys and reinsert them and it will start back up.

When the ignition refuses to start the engine, there is no click, no stuttering, no cranking, it's literally like nothing has happened with the key.

However tonight the ol' girl was exceptionally difficult. Took 3 hours to make my hour long commute with no traffic and many unplanned stops of various lengths of time.

So I'm guessing that the ignition needs replaced? This could be an entirely non-related issue though. I really don't know what to think.

I did the on-off-on-off-on-off and then on thing to display diagnostic codes, but there aren't any. After a brief bit of - - - - - - it says "don.e".

I'm hopeful for any possible ideas or steps to help figure out what is causing this so I can fix it.

thanks in advance,

Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So when it won't start and it won't crank, all the interior stuff works? Dash is lit, dome lights come on? Power windows work?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
neronis

yes, all the interior and exterior powered things work. there is no power steering or power brakes though.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

The next time it won't start and won't crank over, remove the starter relay and make sure you are getting the key start power to the relay. Terminal 86 of the relay should have power when the key is turned to the start position.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not keen on using a meter? Just touch the starter relay, turn the key to start and feel/listen for a click.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:49 AM
neronis
Default Thanks for the replies

thanks everyone for suggestions.

I replaced the electronic starter switch and the busted ignition cylinder and until yesterday had zero problems. so I thought it was fixed.

It's not though.

I took it to a repair shop and they insisted there was nothing wrong with the van, even after I explained the situation to 3 different employees. They said they couldn't get their computer to talk with my car's computer (I am assuming they mean the pcm/ecm) and I told them it was definitely throwing a p1684, which is battery disconnected within 50 starts, which is simply not true.

After 45 minutes of arguing I was told to take the van to the dealership because they didn't want to troubleshoot the electrical system.

Here's what I've found out:

When the van does it's super fun engine kill/refusal to re-start thing, if I disconnect the two wire bundles from the pcm and reconnect them, that immediately fixes the problem and it starts right up.

Is this an indication that the pcm is shot, or is that simply resetting the pcm? I know that when it is in "dead engine" mode I can't get the van to enter ignition key diagnostics (key on off on off on) at all. It doesn't say there aren't any errors, it will never enters that mode at all.

One of the techs at the repair shop said that their computer was saying that the their computer was giving them an error as if there was nothing to talk to on the other end, but they were uncertain what that meant.

They did say that once I figured out the problem, they could repair it, which felt a bit like they were saying "do our work for us," but I don't know.

suggestions?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:57 AM
neronis

I realize that there could be a issue with the wiring harness and/or various sensors intermittently failing, but shouldn't the pcm/ecm always be able to communicate with either a scanner or via key diagnostics? It's only reporting the battery disconnect code or it's like the dang thing isn't even there.

puzzling.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

If the PCM is locking up, it could set the battery disconnect code.

Quick Reply: 2002 Grand Caravan 3.8L ignition problems?