Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Shifter won't move

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 PM
drd4life
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter won't move

Hello, I have a 1999 caravan with the 3.0 engine. It was parked in the garage for a few months, now when I try to start it, it won't start at all. Not a sound...dash lights up as normal, but the gear indicator on the cluster is showing it in reverse. The shifter will not move at all....any ideas? Had no shifting or tranny problems before...only issue I had is the starter is starting to fail..takes a few tries to get started, not sure if its related, thought I'd mention it. Thanks...

Old 04-09-2012, 10:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
Do you know what type of transmission you have? First thing I would do is remove the shift cable from the shifter lever and make sure the transmission is in park and try to start the engine.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:37 PM
drd4life

Ok, I'll try that, but how will i know if the tranny is in park? Forgive me, i am very handy, but haven't done this before. Not sure what kind of tranny is in here...

Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
drd4life

Ok, i figured out the positioning.....looks like the lever at the tranny was a bit ceased. I got it free, and now the the shifter will move through the gears. Now, I have a starter problem. I'll post a new thread.

Quick Reply: Shifter won't move