Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 Keyless Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:45 PM
wesweber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Keyless Control Module

When I purchased the Caravan in 1999 i didn't get the keyless system. I'm interested in getting one now. Are the modules preinstalled and then activated when needed? What would I need to do to get a keyless system for the car?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 AM
m5shooter

You need to run your vin number to find out if the van is equipped with the module and if you add one you need to make sure it has the wiring harness plug already installed in order for a direct plug in. The harness is located under the top right side of the dash and I wasn't comfortable trying to pry up on it to find if my van was equipped with the harness but my vin said it didn't come with a module so I'm just using the keys...it's a bit unconvienant but I didn't want to end up cracking the dash either.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 PM
wesweber

Originally Posted by m5shooter
You need to run your vin number to find out if the van is equipped with the module and if you add one you need to make sure it has the wiring harness plug already installed in order for a direct plug in. The harness is located under the top right side of the dash and I wasn't comfortable trying to pry up on it to find if my van was equipped with the harness but my vin said it didn't come with a module so I'm just using the keys...it's a bit unconvienant but I didn't want to end up cracking the dash either.
Is there any good instructions on removing the panel on the dash? The Chilton book I have is pretty unclear about how to do it.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM
m5shooter

A few members here told me that you just pop off the A pilar trim or in some cases they are screwed on so remove the screws then just stick a small screw driver under the dash pad to pop up and there should be enough room to at least see if the wiring harness has te plug for RKE module.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

INSTRUMENT PANEL TOP COVER

REMOVAL
  1. Remove A-pillar trim. Refer toBody, for A-Pillar Trim Panel Removal and Installation.
  2. Using a trim stick, disengage clips holding rear edge of top cover to instrument panel, Instrument Panel Top Cover NOTE: The Instrument Panel Top Cover may be hard to unsnap from the instrument panel. Be sure not to mar, scuff, or damage the instrument panel pad.
  3. Disconnect wire harness from message center.
  4. Pull top cover rearward to disengage hooks holding front of top cover to instrument panel.
  5. Remove top cover.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first picture shows the center defrost duct (oval in center of dash), the RKE module would be located just to the left of that. The connector for it is a 6 terminal connector and is red in color.

Quick Reply: 1999 Keyless Control Module