Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Caravan unexplained stall event... how to troubleshoot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM
xpkranger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Caravan unexplained stall event... how to troubleshoot?

So, a few minutes ago my wife calls me and tells me that our 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.8) had an unexplained stall event. She was driving uphill slightly on a secondary road (two lane, double yellow) at about 35 - 40 mph, when at about the time she would have expected it to shift into a higher gear, it shuddered slightly and the engine died. Electrical stayed on, she fortunately was able to coast off to the side. She put it in park, turned the ignition off and it restarted as if nothing happened. No error codes on the dash, nothing. So she drove immediately to our mechanic (at least this happened during business hours) and he is looking at it now, but said that wihout any codes on the dash he is unlikely to be able to tell us anything. Of course we have about 38,000 miles on it now.

Any further troubleshooting steps I can perform on my own or suggest for the mechanic before I take it to (hold on to your wallet) ... the dealer ...?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 AM
xpkranger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanic found no obvious problems but said it could be water in the line (she was going uphill at the time). He put a bottle of fuel-dri(?) in the tank and sent my wife on her way. I guess we'll see what happens.

Quick Reply: 2008 Caravan unexplained stall event... how to troubleshoot?