Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Brakes run HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Klute
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes run HOT!

I was on vacation last week in Colorado, I borrowed a relatives Dodge Grand Caravan for the trip.

We went to the top of Pikes Peak and on the way down, we had to stop for a 'brake checkpoint'.

The ranger had a handheld device (looked like a barcode scanner/gun) and 'shot' the brake temp. Vehicles above 300 degrees are advised to stop and wait while their brakes cool so they don't fail the rest of the way down.

To my surprise, the brake temp was 480 degrees. I even went down the mountain in low gear to save the brakes, and they were still hot.

As I waited, I talked with the ranger (slow day for him), and he said almost every Chrysler (dodge, plymouth) mini vans must stop b/c they always run hot. Along with some Saturns, smaller Fords and Hyundai's.

When I spoke with ranger he said that if he warns you b/c of heat above 300 degrees and you continue and have an accident, your insurance company will not cover the accident....He said if you call with a claim, they immediately contact the ranger station to see if you were advised to stop. The ranger records the make/model,license plate/state and temp.

This kinda made me wonder b/c we spent 3 days in the Rocky Mountain National Park before going to Pikes Peak and never thought twice about having the brakes fail.....wonder what the temps were up there????

Just a public service message from KLUTE, be good!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:47 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Brakes run HOT!

There was another post about this just a couple of days ago....

https://dodgeforum.com/m_270972/mpag.../tm.htm#276308

basically it amounts to DCX using a softer metal on the rotors then on the brakes and they tend to heat up super fast...i would simply suggest moving to a better aftermarket rotor

Old 08-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Toecutter
Default RE: Brakes run HOT!

Bingo!
Rotors for a 14" rim are CHEEP get'em and some Gold series pads will help but never think you'll be out of "Brake Fade" danger all brake systems not counting 10,000.00 ones will fade if you exert enough force on them.

EDIT* I just put on rotors and pads. Good ones for around 70.00 and some change, took me 35 min to do.

Quick Reply: Brakes run HOT!