Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 G. Caravan Instrument cluster

Old 02-19-2006, 11:18 AM
NEONTHIS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1997 G. Caravan Instrument cluster

wow i thought it was just my van
when ever this happens ijust hit the dash and everything comes back to normal but im gonna look at thos points you all talk about

Old 02-21-2006, 01:30 AM
emclinc

I have a similar problem on my wife's 97 Grand Caravan. The abs light is on continuously , the check engine comes and goes , and sometimes the car refuses to start . When it refuses to start the odometer,fuel gauge and transmission indicator do not light up. A good slam to the top of the dashboard usuallly solves the problem. I think i have to check out the dash panel as you suggested. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:39 AM
gtomike

Hello ??? My wife has a 97" GC with 133K. The van has been plagued with the "intermittent dead gauges" syndrome for at least three years now. When the gauges malfunction the engine still runs fine. I have tried pulling out the "IOD" fuse when this happens, sometimes this will bring the gauges back but not always. I have also disconnected the battery and again sometimes this will bring the gauges back but not always. Just as often they will return to normal on their own. I have never tried pounding on the dash as I don't think that is a sensible cure to this problem and more than likely would cause more trouble. About 2 weeks ago the gauges went dead again. At this time I started pouring through the internet for information on this problem. What I discovered was an amazing number of people with exactly the same problem. And just as many people being told by their Dodge/Chrysler dealers that they(the dealers) have never heard of this complaint before now. After some research on this subject I believe that the problem is really caused (just like you have posted) by a poor solder joint on the instrument cluster PCB. And by re-soldering or replacing this PCB can the problem be corrected. In your post on 2/10/06 you state that you had the PCB re-soldered and thought that was the cure. Today is 9/2/06, is your fix still holding? Do you still believe that was the solution to the problem?
I don't believe that pulling the IOD fuse, pounding on the dash or replacing the BCM or PCM is the real answer.
I would be most interested in hearing from you in regards to this problem. If your problem has been solved then I will attempt this repair myself.
Thanks Mike

Old 09-05-2006, 02:41 PM
tybaldo
Default RE: 1997 G. Caravan Instrument cluster problems

i have 97 gc se with a non working cluster. the rpm and the speedometer is on zero and temp and fuel gauge pointer are on the middle. when in cycle the key to pullout the code i receive a 55 code. what can be the problem?

Old 09-05-2006, 02:41 PM
tybaldo

i have 97 gc se with a non working cluster. the rpm and the speedometer is on zero and temp and fuel gauge pointer are on the middle. when in cycle the key to pullout the code i receive a 55 code. what can be the problem?

Old 09-05-2006, 02:47 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Code 55 signifies end of code session for the ECM, so if that's all you get, you probably have no hard codes stored.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:56 PM
webbee
Professional

Try the solder fix on the cluster pc board. Also try pulling the fuse on the BCM for 5 mins and then reconnecting to reboot that module.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:10 AM
kodak2408

Hi there... look like i could get an answer here... i have a Dodge Grand Caravan 1994 AWD, never had a problem until the alternator gauge start shakin and drop... check engine light up...check gauge light up... 5 min later the engine shut down... a shop change the alternator... did not solve the problem... change the ECM (the voltage reg his builtin) ...did not solve the problem... check for bad wiring...nothing... fuse...relay...another new alternator... nothing worked so far.... if anyone can help...million thanks...

The GC have low millage... regular maintenance...like new...

Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 PM
trainman

Hello,
I've been experiencing a problem with my 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan very similar to the one you have described here. It started recently and has increased in frequency. Heat appears to make it happen more often. The other day as I was driving the gauges in the instrument panel went to zero and the ABS warning light came on. The Service Engine Light was lit from a previous occurrence the day before when it was hot. Having read these postings the day before I hit the top of the dash has Neonthis had suggested and the instrument cluster came back to normal and the Service Engine Light went out. Have you experienced any problems since the ground point was repaired? How do you gain access to the circuit board? I’m planning to make an appointment with my dealer and want to be armed with appropriate information as to a probable cause.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:53 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

just tell them the cluster goes in and out they will put a new board in and program the cluster

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 G. Caravan Instrument cluster