Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 G. Caravan Instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:42 AM
gtomike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1997 G. Caravan Instrument cluster

Hello trainman,[/align]Sorry to take this long to reply to your post. No I have not had any re-occurring problems with my instrument cluster going dead, not since I re-soldered the printed circuit board. That was in Sept. of last year.It would be most difficult for me to try to tell you how to gain access to the PCB by email. I followed the procedure as outlined in my Haynes manual. I would suggest that you should also follow their instructions for removing the instrument cluster. Once it is out you can easily get at the PCB. Take a look at this link solder fix it should be most informative. I hope that this helps you.[/align][/align]GTOMIKE[/align]

Old 06-18-2007, 06:30 PM
mucktoerider

dodge tech...and anyone else that has had this proble.....is the cluster hooked to all these other warning lights such as the ABS, engine, and airbag lights. The cluster sits separately from the bar of warning lights. I just thought it was odd that the lights will come on as the intermitten cluster gauges was occurring. So that is why I thought I would ask just to make sure that it is the cluster board first. I thought maybe the relay box had a short in it. let me know here or possibly send me an email please. Need to get fixed soon to fight a speeding ticket for my wife. Gauges went out while driving to work. Cop gave her a ticket (not a fix it ticket) anyway. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

if u are asking the message center lights over the cluster come on when the main cluster is messing up then yes they are powerd by the insterment cluster.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:16 PM
dodgeremorse

I havethis same exact problem ! Whole panel off and on for years, now mostly off.The worse part is I cannot pass inspection.Our money is tied up in trying to buy a new house so I cannot throw much more money(local dodge dealer declared'I dunno'but parted me from cash) into it. Any Ideas on a quick fix so I can pass inspection and give life to the heap for just 1 more month? At this point,a ticket would be cheaper than what the dealer quoted.
Is it possible tofix these things yourself?

Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

yeah look for the solder point repair some where on here

Old 09-26-2007, 06:48 PM
mgh140

I've been having this problem for a while too when the instrument panel would just randomly go out. It would usually fix by just restarting the engine. The last time it happened I had shut the engine off, messed with the battery and fuses and then it worked. I tried all the fuses on the inside fuse box so I don't really know what really worked. Now, it went out again and its been off for the last 4 or 5 times I've started and driven it. Like everyone else, the dealship hasn't had this problem. They suggested looking behind the heater controls and see if the wires were melted or something. They all looked good when I tried that. After reading these posts, I have a feeling that it is a bad solder connection like many of you have experienced. I was wondering how hard it is to get the plastic dash out and ultimately the instrument panel. Where do you even start to get it apart? Thanks!

Old 11-03-2007, 10:44 AM
adonrdo

I wish that were true. When I told them they said it was the BCM and that it needed to be replaced. I put down big bucks and it did not fix it. I did some diging arround and for me the problem was fixed by resodering the broken pin. The Solder fix did the trick in my case.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 PM
richardh05k

I was smart, I checked the forum first for info and didn't spend a dime and got the problem fixed. You can find my posts if you search back a few years. the http://www.ingriddijkers.com/CaravanPics.html(solder fix) was a godsend and huge money saver. Thankyou all. The problem has not come back.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:40 PM
doc6157

1999 caravan same problem no dash cluster pulled it after checking most of everything else wanted to test continunity from it to the sending units the haynes manual showed a 5 wire connection but their exists 7 live contract in the male end and two wires incoming are orange and solid black have no idea the nature of their functions. does anyone have a reliable schematic of the system the alternator thing i heard several times would a check by a parts store show the burnt diode? where is the ground for the dash located? I am shakey about probing into the system with an ohmeter w/o a good diagram i am a rookie at this forum and need to know how to post a new item thanks doc

Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Mgd_Brew66

I tried the solder fix dabergusonsugested. sure enough mine was broken and works fine now that I've resoldered it.

Quick Reply: 1997 G. Caravan Instrument cluster