Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Caravan Headrest DVD Players

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:12 PM
dodge_podge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Caravan Headrest DVD Players

I am new to the forum, and I'm so excited to have such a great source of information. This is my first Dodge vehicle, and I absolutely LOVE it!

We are looking to purchase headrests with DVD players for our 2011 Mainstreet, but have no idea what the best brand/model would be. We would like to get the headrests that have their own individual players that do not have to plug into a factory head unit.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has DVD players on/in the headrests for the 3rd row passengers. We have the stowngo seats, and the headrests do not come off. I have also been looking at the DVD players that attach to back of seat/headrest.

Thanks for the help!!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:51 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

glad that you like your van!
but sorry to inform you, if you have a Headrest that look like this, you have active restraint headrest. If you replace it, you will be stuck with a Airbag light on your dash.

On the stow and go seat, I havent seen anyone install it yet, but you probably will end up crushing it or chew up the wires when you fold the seat.

better look into roof mounted DVD player, or just get a cheap portable DVD player, more practical.

or tell your kids to just look out of the window like I did 20 yrs ago

Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 AM
dodge_podge

Thank you for the information and picture! That is exactly what my headrests look like. I definitely do not want to interfere with the safety features of the van. I do not want the airbag light on either.

The overhead may be the best way to go, and the kiddos can just all watch the same show. Or, they can look out the window! LOL

What are the best overhead DVD players? What about the DVD player brackets that the headrest posts slide through?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 AM
silverfun
Default Might be a cheaper option

Just get them and iPad and call it a day. An overhead TV set will probably run you $2k from dealer where you can pickup a referbished ipad for $200. 1/10th the price. Plus watch movies, play games and be on the internet while traveling!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 PM
dodge_podge

We decided against the overhead DVD because of price and only one movie can be shown at a time. We have a 12 yo, 2 yo, and 1 due in October. We needed something that could accomodate separate movies/games since there is a 10 yr age difference.

We went with the Philips PD9016/37 9-inch Portable LCD Dual DVD player, and absolutely love them. We purchased the players from Amazon for $150.00, I think the price has gone back up, though. We used them on our 15 hour road trip and week long vacation, and several days trips since. My older child sat in the 3rd seat on our vacation, and we ordered a separate 12V adapter so it would plug into the rear outlet. The players include a split 12V adapter which we use when they are on side by side headrests. The cords are a good length, I was able to feed/hide them under the floor mats and seats to reach the front outlet with some length to spare. They do not come with remotes or cordless headphones, but the speakers work well, and we do not have to turn the volume up very loud for our toddler to hear. My older child just plugs in headphones when using the player. They are easy to attach and remove, and each player includes an AC plug for use outside the car. They are very easy to operate, I just had to learn where/what the controls and buttons were without being able to see them while driving. We will probably end up getting our oldest an iPad in the future, and then the 2 younger ones will each have a player.

The Philips PD9016/37 9-inch Portable LCD Dual DVD player was definitely the best option for our family. They do not interfere with the active restraint headrests, and they didn't break the bank. They are also available in 7-inch screens. Thanks to all for the help!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM
RugerRedhawk
Rookie

I just use a 10" acer tablet. I plan on getting a mount that will hold it between the seats, last trip I tied it there

Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Unclejaybird_1973

Originally Posted by steak59
glad that you like your van!
but sorry to inform you, if you have a Headrest that look like this, you have active restraint headrest. If you replace it, you will be stuck with a Airbag light on your dash.

On the stow and go seat, I havent seen anyone install it yet, but you probably will end up crushing it or chew up the wires when you fold the seat.

better look into roof mounted DVD player, or just get a cheap portable DVD player, more practical.

or tell your kids to just look out of the window like I did 20 yrs ago

@steak59
I have the same issue with the head rest but the head rest is not equipped with the airbags.
I depress the button and let the rest all the way up
But it will not let me completely remove the rest whether i depress the button or not.

Suggestions? Trying to install a monitor on the front passenger seat.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Blue659
Rookie
Default UncleJaybird

I am not sure what you have for a vehicle but on my 2012 Durango on the right sleeve, there is a tiny hole. You'll have to use a paper clip to release the right side. Then, while holding the paper clip in unlock the left side and it will come off. Again, see if your car has a similar setup. In regards to individual DVD. Check my post. This is what I did to my Durango.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-system-5.html

Quick Reply: 2011 Caravan Headrest DVD Players