Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

EVAP Sys still not Ready after 300 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 AM
dardack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVAP Sys still not Ready after 300 miles

I had to disconnect my battery to fix something. Probably didn't NEED to, but I normally do when working on anything besides the brakes/suspension system. It's due for an inspection this month in NY.

Normally if I've had a code, cleared it, drive 45 miles everything says Ready (like for instance my wife didn't click the gas cap a few times and I had to clear the code, when I do that sure it says Not Ready on everything but will be Ready in short order). When I say Cleared i mean with an OBD device.

However, this time, no check engine light and disconnected neg cable. I've driven 300 miles and every system is ready but Evap. Any suggestions?

This is very frustrating.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 AM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate EVAP! For it to reset. it needs two or three overnights. four key ons. and a couple of 15 minute driving cycles. Depending on how strict the inspector is. he may let that slide.
I thought mine was good. two weeks with no light. but I dont drive it that much. last week I was driving to the inspection station and the light came back. Its getting smoke tested tomorrow.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 AM
dardack

Originally Posted by gertie240
I hate EVAP! For it to reset. it needs two or three overnights. four key ons. and a couple of 15 minute driving cycles. Depending on how strict the inspector is. he may let that slide.
I thought mine was good. two weeks with no light. but I dont drive it that much. last week I was driving to the inspection station and the light came back. Its getting smoke tested tomorrow.
In NY they plug it in to DMV database and it has to read Ready I'm pretty sure. Maybe I'll take it and see, maybe it only needs to be ready on everything else, but doubt it.

I've been driving this a ton, it's been 300 miles and a week and a half. I've been driving it instead of my car just for that reason (and wasting gas FML since my car gets way better MPG).

Is smoke test part of your inspection? Or are you doing that for another reason? I just want it to either misfire or get to ready status.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM
gertie240
Captain

I have been fighting a p0455 (large leak code) for about two years. Not too many people can narrow down the problem. I am going to spend the 100 at the dealership for them to tell me where its leaking.
Good luck with your inspection, if you have been driving it for a week it should pass.
Coat the gas cap gasket with a little petroleum jelly, it helps it make a good seal, do not use a locking gas cap.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 AM
dardack

Originally Posted by gertie240
I have been fighting a p0455 (large leak code) for about two years. Not too many people can narrow down the problem. I am going to spend the 100 at the dealership for them to tell me where its leaking.
Good luck with your inspection, if you have been driving it for a week it should pass.
Coat the gas cap gasket with a little petroleum jelly, it helps it make a good seal, do not use a locking gas cap.
That was just an example on when I cleared a code and it read ready in 45 miles. I just can't believe I've driven over a week, over 300 miles and Evap is still Not Ready.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
dardack

I just called my mechanic apparently in NYS 2001-2010 you can have 1 incomplete and still pass. 1996-2000 you can have 2. So gonna take it in and find out. Will let people know.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:42 PM
gertie240
Captain

that sounds like pretty good news, the o2 should be plenty ready. i am going to find out about that 1 incomplete here in Texas. thanks for the info

Old 07-18-2012, 01:01 PM
dardack

Yep just passed with 1 incomplete. Apparently 2011/2012 is exempt, don't even need to plug into the state's DB. GL in Texas.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 AM
gertie240
Captain

went to the inspection station yesterday. your mech is right, 2 not ready for 96-2000. 1 not ready for others. mine passed!!! good for another year. I love my code reader. remember when they called it a safety inspection?
I just read that TX is the number one producer of green house gases.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:31 AM
dardack

It's never been about "safety". Well maybe 50% is. The rest is about money. When NY went to the Code reader the Inspection went up $7.

But this is the kicker for me. If you spend more then $x (i can't remember exact figure it's something like $500) to repair the check engine light, it doesn't even have to be fully repaired, it will automatically pass now.

Quick Reply: EVAP Sys still not Ready after 300 miles