Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A/C warm on drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 PM
mayorchuck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C warm on drivers side

2001 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

Hi folks. I am trying to help a friend fix her van. She has MS, daughter on chemo and although I am a backyard mechanic at best, she can't afford any better. The problem is this:
The van has Dual Air/Heat control. The passenger side works fine but the drivers side is at least 20 degrees cooler. This is the same for both front and back. I tried using dash, floor and defrost vents with same issue. The Drivers switch/slide appears to be ok as when I move it to heat, the air warms as it should.
I found a service bulletin about this and it told how to calibrate and said it would identify the problem with a code if there was an issue. I ran the test as stated and it cycled through everything and then stopped with no flashing lights indicating no failure were found in the actuator motors. I have found other service bulletins on 'no heat' issues on the passenger side with instructions on what to check but I don't know if that would apply to this issue. I simply have very little knowledge of the working of these HVAC systems.

I removed the cover where the cabin filter would be. There was no filter there but the air was very warm coming from this opening. Perhaps this is normal. It was not as warm on recirculate but still warm.

I checked the condenser for moisture. Nothing.

One article I found on the net said to look up on the passenger side under the dash to see if the cables are moving as they should when changing from floor to defrost and such. I can see nothing from the passenger side and never did find the cables. I simply do not want to start taking thing apart without direction and hopefully diagrams or pictures.

I did all the above 2 summers ago. Just found out she has never been able to fix the a/c. I hope to get her van over the next few weekends. I have not checked for low freon. I seem to find different answers for this issue.

I also read you could remove the negative battery post and touch the positive to reset the doors/actuators. This was on a 2000 Caravan which I believe is a different generation. Is this something I could try on her 2001? I will continue to research on the forum and DIY section as time permits before I get the van to my home.

Any direction or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Old 07-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The bulletin you found was for the left vents blowing warmer than the right. I think you have the oposite problem. I am going to almost guarentee you that the vehicle is low on freon charge. That would be the first thing I would check and I do this all the time. I have seen this complaint on about everything Mopar builds and it is almost always low charge.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:57 PM
mayorchuck

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I worded my info wrong. The drivers side is much warmer, not cooler, than the passenger side. I will still check the freon when I am able to get her van, hopefully next weekend and go from there.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM
mayorchuck

Hello folks. I got the van this past weekend. Ran the test again with same results Took it to a friends house who has the gauges to check freon. It was low, charged it up, problem solved. I will be following up with her to make sure the charge holds over time.

This lady had taken the van to the local Dodge dealership a few month ago. She was quoted $800 to repair.

Thanks to those who contribute here.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Low charge, not shocked. 2001 didn't have many leak issues. Compressors blowing up left and right. The occasional condenser.

Quick Reply: A/C warm on drivers side