Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2012 Grand Caravan Accelerator Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 PM
SilverSurfer140
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Grand Caravan Accelerator Noise

I recently purchased a 2012 Grand Caravan SXT. Just recently it's started making a subtle noise when pressing on the accelerator. If you take your foot off the accelerator the noise stops after 5-10 seconds. It does it whether the air conditioner is on or not and speed doesn't seem to have any effect - it's the same at all speeds. The fan can be on or off as well.

If you drive with the cruise control on, there's no noise at at all. The noise is hard to describe, kind of a rasping type sound. I've had the dealer look at it and they didn't have an answer. One thought was it was the sound of gasses in the ac system. Basically the deal felt they could spend hours upon hours and put miles upon miles on the car and maybe not find the answer. Due to the newness of the car, we agreed for the moment to let it go and see if it changes or goes away over time.

Any one encountered this or have any thoughts on it?

Old 07-21-2012, 01:06 AM
dsolorio
Professional

My first thought was, how would the dealership talk you into just putting it off and ignoring this when you just purchased a brand new vehicle from them? (Not to get you worked up or anything) Well, I am very unfamiliar with the new Grand Caravans and can't be of much help. But I can ask around!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 AM
silverfun
Default I think it is a vaccumm hose

I have a 2011 and I think I have the same noise. You can hear it the worst when traveling between 20-25mph lightly press on the gas peddle and I hear, what sounds like, a loose vacuum hose. I have not really looked to see where it is coming from (engine bay/in dash).

Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Argetni

I have a 2012 SXT with same exact sound when you take your foot of the gas and it also goes away in 5-10 seconds.

I can reproduce it in park by bringing the RPM's up to 1500 or so and holding it there.

I have 2000 miles on mine and it has not gone away. I do not think it is a major issue so I am waiting till the first oil change to have it looked at.

I also have slightly warped brake rotors and a high speed vibration issue with my van.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM
SilverSurfer140
Default Sounds familiar

Sounds very much like what I am experiencing. I agree it's probably not major as I'm up to 1000 miles. I have the same plan to wait for the oil change and have it checked.

Let me know if you find out anything about this, I would be very interested to hear any ideas about this. I did your experiment with the RPM's at 1500 and get the sound the same way.

I'm getting ready for a road trip that's about 1000 miles round trip, so I'll what happens there.

Originally Posted by Argetni
I have a 2012 SXT with same exact sound when you take your foot of the gas and it also goes away in 5-10 seconds.

I can reproduce it in park by bringing the RPM's up to 1500 or so and holding it there.

I have 2000 miles on mine and it has not gone away. I do not think it is a major issue so I am waiting till the first oil change to have it looked at.

I also have slightly warped brake rotors and a high speed vibration issue with my van.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Argetni

Did you ever figure out the noise - 8600 miles and my 2012 is still doing it.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It could be the Electric vacuum pump at work. This new 3.6l motor has a very low Intake manifold vacuum, especially when accelerating, it uses a electric pump as a substitute.

If every Caravan has it, then it is probably something normal which you have to live with.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Argetni

I was at the dealer today for the M38 recall and reproduced the sound for the service writer. He checked with the tech who he said also reproduced it and they pronounced it "normal vehicle characteristic" shocking I know

Quick Reply: 2012 Grand Caravan Accelerator Noise