Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

bigger brake interchange for caravan

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:04 PM
wrighteous
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bigger brake interchange for caravan

I have a 2008 caravan on 20s and gonna get lowered a little . Here's the question I'm a new dodge owner so I don't know . Is there another dodge vehical I can swap out bigger brakes for the van .
Iv been a vw guy all my life and I know what brakes I can inter change , bigger brakes stops better and looks nicer in the 20 inch wheels . Lmk thanks . Wrighteous@live.com

Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrighteous
I have a 2008 caravan on 20s and gonna get lowered a little . Here's the question I'm a new dodge owner so I don't know . Is there another dodge vehical I can swap out bigger brakes for the van .
Iv been a vw guy all my life and I know what brakes I can inter change , bigger brakes stops better and looks nicer in the 20 inch wheels . Lmk thanks . Wrighteous@live.com
Lowering the van will destroy it's cargo and passenger carrying ability. This is the sole reason for owning a van, so this plan sounds bizarre. Why humiliate yourself by installing performance parts on a soccer mom's vehicle? The money your dumping for silly visual aids could be spent on a respectable car with some actual performance potential. Big brakes plus oversize wheels and tires will set you back around $4K. You could buy a used sports car for that price plus your passengers in the van will not be tortured with no suspension travel from slamming.

Your brakes are around 12" in diameter which is about the same size as a 10 year old Corvette without the track suspension option.

The 2012 and 13 Grand Caravans with optional brakes and optional 17" wheels have 1" larger rotors than your van with dual piston calipers. The same big brakes are found on VW Routan and some other Chrysler vehicles..

Last edited by Lscman; 04-01-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 AM
timdaly54

Originally Posted by Lscman
Lowering the van will destroy it's cargo and passenger carrying ability. This is the sole reason for owning a van, so this plan sounds bizarre. Why humiliate yourself by installing performance parts on a soccer mom's vehicle? The money your dumping for silly visual aids could be spent on a respectable car with some actual performance potential. Big brakes plus oversize wheels and tires will set you back around $4K. You could buy a used sports car for that price plus your passengers in the van will not be tortured with no suspension travel from slamming.

Your brakes are around 12" in diameter which is about the same size as a 10 year old Corvette without the track suspension option.

The 2012 and 13 Grand Caravans with optional brakes and optional 17" wheels have 1" larger rotors than your van with dual piston calipers. The same big brakes are found on VW Routan and some other Chrysler vehicles..
So if I decide to put some 20" wheels (common size of rim now) and decide to lower the van "a bit" to compensate for the larger rim. Buy/ swap a larger brake setup to get rid of the POS! set up that is used on smaller Dodge SUV's. I will be humiliating my self?

Also my blacked out Town and Country lowered 1"-2" with 20" will "respectfully" haul my passengers/cargo. FYI.

Lets all try to find a fix for our greatly undersized breaks and not waste time with stupid opinions.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 AM
timdaly54

I was searching Ebay for some EBC pads/rotors and it seams that our pads are used on other Models. As I assumed. It looks like Nitro, Wrangler, liberty and Journey are listed. So I did a quick search for Wrangler big brake kit and found this.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/terafle...brake-kit.html

Looks like a good start! Just need to make sure the calipers blot up the same and the rotor bolt pattern is 5x127.

I'll do some digging to see if any other stock Mopar calipers will work....

Old 04-01-2013, 04:08 PM
SuPaTooX

Originally Posted by timdaly54
So if I decide to put some 20" wheels (common size of rim now) and decide to lower the van "a bit" to compensate for the larger rim. Buy/ swap a larger brake setup to get rid of the POS! set up that is used on smaller Dodge SUV's. I will be humiliating my self?

Also my blacked out Town and Country lowered 1"-2" with 20" will "respectfully" haul my passengers/cargo. FYI.

Lets all try to find a fix for our greatly undersized breaks and not waste time with stupid opinions.
Can you post a pic?? Sounds like something I was dreaming about for my BLACK 2008 SXT.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 PM
wrighteous

Originally Posted by Lscman

First and formost I bought the van because I own 2 greatdane dogs . As for ruining cargo capability no it will not as if I need to haul stuff I'd use my full size truck . If you knew anything about aftermarket rims $4k who you buying your rims from come too me so I can make $2500 from another sucker the rims were $1200 plus tax with tires . And I like my vehicals too stop on a dime and tell me the date bigger brakes are safer and less costly to replace the under sized factory brakes due to the fact bigger don't were out as fast cheers

Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 PM
wrighteous

Absoultly that's awesome what you did every vehical I own is lowered bigger brakes and bigger wheels . I like my rides to look good stop good and handle good ,wether its a van , car , or a truck . Hell when I own my 911 it got lowered more and bigger wheels lol that was $4000 for wheels there but , people who can not afford the nice things in life insult and critasize those who can . Gotta love haters . Cheers and nice too hear what you done to your rides that's awesome ,my buddys got a licoln mk8 dumped on 22s and four of guys go out to the rippers in it no problem with the ride

Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Seriously?? I'm suggesting that it's a waste to spend $5K for oversize brakes, springs and tire wheel combo for a $10K van and that's surely not a stupid opinion. It's more like wise, common sense thinking. This is the silly stuff that fools do in the city instead of checking tire pressures, adding and changing oil. The standard brakes are not undersized at all. They are the same size as a 1996 corvette that goes 160MPH. The standard brakes are larger than a 1LE Camaro for road racing or 3/4 ton pickup used for hauling a 6000 lb trailer. You can put 15" brembos on it but if the traction control is hanging they will cook and fail.

The brake problems people are experiencing are caused by a traction control computer malfunction or rusty slide pins or rusty clip grooves. Larger rotors will not correct either issue. These problems are not corrected by having somebody throw a set of new pads on the van without checking all parts for free movement and lubrication. I changed my "small" brakes today and found two slider pins froze from rust. The rubber boots were pinched and ripped, letting water in. Somebody damaged them during a previous brake job and did not check them. It cost me $12 to fix the problem (new boots and pins) and just grease and time.

Cheap brake jobs are the most expensive of all.

Last edited by Lscman; 04-02-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Lscman
Veteran

Originally Posted by wrighteous
Absoultly that's awesome what you did every vehical I own is lowered bigger brakes and bigger wheels . I like my rides to look good stop good and handle good ,wether its a van , car , or a truck . Hell when I own my 911 it got lowered more and bigger wheels lol that was $4000 for wheels there but , people who can not afford the nice things in life insult and critasize those who can . Gotta love haters . Cheers and nice too hear what you done to your rides that's awesome ,my buddys got a licoln mk8 dumped on 22s and four of guys go out to the rippers in it no problem with the ride
Lowering and 22's will not improve handling as you claim. It's just a flush of cash and any serious person would laugh at a soccer mom vehicle with those mods. I'm a track instructor and have driven hundreds of cars at triple digits. I know what really handles and what pretends. I hate when people waste money to destroy handling and ride quality, so I was advising how to best avoid that. My Lincoln mk won F Stock in the SCCA for many years, outhandling the fastest Cobra and Camaro ponycars despite 150HP deficit. Mine did not have 22's lol.

Quick Reply: bigger brake interchange for caravan