Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Identify transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Fingers154
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whyzman
Did you go with the Kevlar or Raybestos clutch material? I have heard that the shifting will be more pronounced, or noticeable, if the Kevlar is used. Apparently, the material is more agressive and the shifting can be "felt." This was from a transmission shop tech I talked with in Colorado. I don't know if that would be the same as the "clunk" you are experiencing?

Did you replace the Torque converter and solenoid pack when you rebuilt?
I have no idea what kind of clutch material it is. I bought the kit mentioned earlier and just installed it. I didn't replace the solenoid pack or the torque converter. I was getting noise in the transfer shaft and it was slipping from second to third so I didn't bother with those.

The clunk is only when shifting into to either forward or reverse from a full stop. It's like the sort of thing you'd expect if your universal joint was shot in a rear wheel drive. Otherwise it shifts very smoothly. It could just be me being hyper-sensitive to everything since it was just rebuilt but it seems odd that it doesn't do it every time.

Quick Reply: Identify transmission