Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Identify transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Fingers154
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I should post an update since a fair bit of time has passed. The overhaul went well except for a string of delays. I lost my helper and made a few mistakes that cost me a bit of time but in the end the tranny is running good.

I had to make a few tools since I don't have access to specialty dealer tools. Nothing complex but they sure made the job go smoother. The easiest was a pair of snap ring pliers made out of extra long needle nose pliers ground down to fit a snap ring. The ring is at the bottom of a cylinder with a shaft through the center. My regular snap ring pliers didn't even get close to it.

The other handy homemade component was a piece of 4" steel pipe. It was only about an inch long so it was effectively a nice strong disk. Using some flat stock and threaded rod I was able to make various types of spring compressors. You really have to get creative sometimes when working on these things.

The last thing to keep in mind is that the transmission must be reprogrammed to 'quick learn' mode when you're done. I had a delayed and rough shift going into third gear but that all cleared up after the re-program. I just went to my local parts supplier and borrowed their tool. It took about two minutes in their parking lot.

So there you go. Thanks for the tip on the parts kit, master tech. It was the right one and had everything I needed in it.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 PM
whyzman

Originally Posted by Fingers154
I lost my helper and made a few mistakes that cost me a bit of time but in the end the tranny is running good.
I am also taking the big step and going to rebuild mine. You mention "made a few mistakes." Would you mind providing an explanation of where you went wrong? If it was an "easy" mistake, I'd like not to go down that road if you can help me to avoid it.

Thanks in advance,

Whyzman

Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

When you are ready, let me know and i'll try to write it down for you. On what you need and what goes where. I build these in my sleep.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 PM
whyzman

Originally Posted by master tech
When you are ready, let me know and i'll try to write it down for you. On what you need and what goes where. I build these in my sleep.
I appreciate that!!

My first question would be regarding the rebuild kits. On eBay there are a number of kits varying widely in price, yet claiming to be Master Rebuild Kits. My research alerted me to some parts by Sonnax. Specifically, a grommet and plate that are inserted at the start to address a known leak prone area. Pictures from some of the rebuild kits appear to have a similar setup.

Also, a couple of actual Mopar Master Rebuild Kits include one or two bell housings in their pictures. Some say they include common wear bushings.

Is it always a good idea to replace the torque converter when rebuilding. And, what about the solenoid pack...replace?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Whyzman

Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Fingers154

A question for you,Master tech. I've noticed that it sometimes clunks into gear. Not always, but often. Is that normal or did I miss something?

Old 05-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Fingers154

This is ridiculous. I don't know if it's my tablet or the forum software but I've written a reply to Whyzman twice and it doesn't post.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Fingers154

What the?? My answer to Whyzman disappeared!

Okay, here it is again:

MY biggest mistake was not seating the transmission properly when re-mounting it. There are 2 shafts,one inside the the other, and you have to make sure you seat both properly or you can't get the mounting bolts in correctly. I re-installed it three times before I figured out my mistake.

The other mistakes were the usual 'oops' you get in auto mechanics such as re-assembling everything,goop and all, and then realizing the filter is still on the bench!

Old 05-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Fingers154

It was me. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:02 AM
whyzman

Originally Posted by Fingers154
MY biggest mistake was not seating the transmission properly when re-mounting it. There are 2 shafts,one inside the the other, and you have to make sure you seat both properly or you can't get the mounting bolts in correctly. I re-installed it three times before I figured out my mistake!
Fingers, this is Pulitzer Prize material! Thank you for sharing this. Speed bumps on what appears to be a smooth road can wreak havoc unless painted to alert the driver... ;-) That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 AM
whyzman

Did you go with the Kevlar or Raybestos clutch material? I have heard that the shifting will be more pronounced, or noticeable, if the Kevlar is used. Apparently, the material is more agressive and the shifting can be "felt." This was from a transmission shop tech I talked with in Colorado. I don't know if that would be the same as the "clunk" you are experiencing?

Did you replace the Torque converter and solenoid pack when you rebuilt?

Quick Reply: Identify transmission