Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 GC Ignition Key Sentry Replacment Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:48 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason you are getting animosity towards you is that you are complaining that the dealer is going to charge you to program something that they had no hand in ruining. As has been said, $75 is a bargain to get this done. In Canada you'd pay on average over $100 for the same job and even the private shops that can do it (which there are VERY few) would charge even more.

At the end of the day, these types of repairs require expensive equipment that also requires expensive yearly updates. The dealership does not pay these costs. Chrysler does not pay these costs. The mechanics who own the tools to do this work pay all the costs. Very common misconception that the dealers have all the special tools they need for free from Chrysler to do these types of repairs.

At the end of the day, it is the mechanic stuck buying a $20K tool and paying $10K+ a year to update it, and that is if they even get the privilege of buying the tool. Franchised dealerships do not provide tooling of any kind for their mechanics.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 PM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I apologize. And I understand where you're coming from. But I didn't mean it as harsh as as it was taken. I certainly do not want any enemies here.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 PM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I got the eBay steering column for $75.00 shipped and used the key switch housing. Saved a couple hundred or so there.
The column came with working key switch so I swapped my tumblers into it and got happy with that. Saved cash again.

I went to the dealership and they gave me a break on the Skrim (This is how they pronounced it) from $103.00 to $85.00 and the programming from $90.00 to $75.00. The service people seen that I have a rap sheet with them and the tow truck dropping me off so they took care of me. I had already priced it over the phone so I knew they were real.

I had the plastic off the column area and they let me pop on the new skrim, one screw and a connection.
He had trouble at first not communicating with the PCM, then it not seeing the keys and so on, but every time he started over it got better. The third time it all came together. He used a handheld right where the tow truck dropped it off.
He made sure all three of my keys worked.

Off we go now to installing a Viper 5704.

Thanks to all for the help.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 AM
concraz6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can reuse a used skim. see a Locksmith that service car transponder systems.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:08 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by concraz6
You can reuse a used skim. see a Locksmith that service car transponder systems.

no sir

Quick Reply: 2002 GC Ignition Key Sentry Replacment Question