Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2 possible suspension issues - 07 T&C

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:51 AM
J Wikoff
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 possible suspension issues - 07 T&C

I've noticed a creaking when turning right at intersections when the suspension loads and unloads over bumps. It's more of a long-u kinda sound than a creak, I guess. Sometimes I can hear it over bumps when going straight. I have not heard it when turning left. Is it the strut maybe?

Second "issue". We had a little snow last night and I noticed something odd in the tracks left when the wife left for work. The left side track looked like the wheels were lined up spot on. There was perfect tracks of the 5 rows of thread blocks just like the tires have. The right side looked like 6 rows of tread blocks. One of the right side tires/wheels is offset by at least an inch. I looked and there is no uneven wear on the tires, and it does not pull one way or the other. Thoughts?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:43 AM
J Wikoff
Rookie

Bump...

Old 03-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usual culprits for suspension noises are sway bar bushings or links. Can be strut mounts or control arm bushings.

For the misaligned tire tracks you'll have to have the suspension checked for wear or alignment. Tracking would have to be checked by a body shop. Have someone drive behind and see if the van is crabbing down the road. That said, if you see no ill effects try living with it.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-31-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:22 PM
J Wikoff
Rookie

I replaced the sway bar bushings and it didn't change the sound. It's getting worse. I can hear it when turning left now too.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 PM
doanhtran

have you checked the tie rods?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:03 AM
J Wikoff
Rookie

Hmm. Nope. How do you check them?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 PM
doanhtran

watch this video, it gives you an idea of how to check your tie rod.

but this video shows you how to change the outer tie rod

Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 PM
J Wikoff
Rookie

I appreciate the links.

More recently, I've noticed something that may or may not be related. When parked, and rocked by hand fore/aft, the van will creak "somewhere between the front wheels" as they rotate the little bit that the trans allows. It's definately a metal on metal type sound, or at least a very dry or worn through bushing maybe. It seems more prevalent when it's just been driven for whatever reason. I cannot for the life of me manage to specifically locate the sound.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:13 PM
J Wikoff
Rookie

Is it it possible that the creaking while rocking the van is a motor/trans mount? It sounds like it's low on the backside of the powertrain somewhere.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J Wikoff
Is it it possible that the creaking while rocking the van is a motor/trans mount? It sounds like it's low on the backside of the powertrain somewhere.
J Wikoff,

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty locating the source of the sound. A creak in the front end can be caused by a number of factors. As you mention, the noise is more prevalent after the vehicle has been driven. Can you still heard the creak prior being driven? A second set of eyes may help to pinpoint the cause. Have you had a chance to bring the van by your servicing dealer?

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2 possible suspension issues - 07 T&C