Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 brake light/turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM
oldandcrotchety
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 brake light/turn signal issue

This may be something that has already been addressed, but I've searched until nearly blind and can't find anything quiet like this. I have a strange issue on a 96 grand caravan I recently got. It's the right rear only. All other turn signals work fine. With the lights on, both the top and bottom bulbs work properly. If you step on the brakes, the top bulb goes out but the bottom works properly. If you turn on the right turn signal then both top and bottom bulbs alternate rapidly and dimly. Now when I say the top and bottom, I mean the top 2 bulbs excluding the very bottom back up bulb. It never lights up. New bulbs are in all three sockets. One thing I did notice is that the sockets on the other light assembly are all marked 6073 and the sockets in the lamp assembly in question are marked 6073 for one and 6072 for the other two, but they still look the same. Anyway, it has me stumped. Could it be the circuit board in the lens assembly? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you have 3057 bulbs. No corrosion in the sockets? Swap the left and right light assemblies and see what changes. Connect a meter and check for power and ground with brakes and turn sigs applied.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-13-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 PM
oldandcrotchety
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, new 3057s and I couldn't see any corrosion. In my original post I was saying how the two bulbs would rapidly alternate while flashing dimly. This is only while the brakes are applied. Anyway, since I posted, the old woman took off in it for the weekend, so it will be Monday before I can get back to it. For some reason, it never occurred to me to swap out the two sides. Just assumed the pigtail wouldn't match I guess. When you get old you get kinda foggy sometimes. I'll try that Monday and let ya know what happened.

Quick Reply: 96 brake light/turn signal issue