Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1998 4 cyl 3 speed instrument cluster swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:51 PM
mirageman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 4 cyl 3 speed instrument cluster swap

does anyone have the resources to know if I can swap out my 1998 dodge caravan instrument cluster for one that HAS a tachometer? I have the 2.4 liter 3 speed transmission without a tach, but would love to get an instrument cluster with a tachometer that works for mine. I find very few sellers online who claim that it will work with a swapped cluster with a tach. the dealer simply says he doesn't think so, that he thinks it only comes with the 4 speed. I asked him if that was because of engine or transmission to which he was not sure. thanks!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Mikeb-rick
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to on a 96 caravan with same engine and 3 spd. I heard it's best to stick with the no tach. I believe the gauge may not work because of info sent from the 3 spd trans to the PCM to the dash wont calculate the info right on a cluster that was made for a 4 spd trans?

Also make sure that the back of the old panel has the same color plug as the replacement the red connector wont fit on one with a black socket. I think that is on vans 98-00. I made that mistake on buying a replacement from a 99 and thought that Dodge would of fixed the gauge problem by then, but they changed the plug design too. Quite a pain to send it back. Yours should be black, but make sure. I done the procedure twice, so feel free to ask questions

Last edited by Mikeb-rick; 10-13-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 1998 4 cyl 3 speed instrument cluster swap