Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 grand caravan tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 PM
joepilot40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 grand caravan tranny issues

Hi all, I have a 1996 Grand Caravan 3.3 with 200k. It has a rebuilt transmisssion with about 30k on it. The vehicle was running flawlessy until after driving it for about 30 minutes I went into a store and came out and when I put it into reverse nothing....... then pressing on the gas jerk and then caught into gear... same now from park into drive nothing then a little gas and hard jerk into gear... it seemed fine into all the other gears I just couldnt stop, because the same thing happed...Im hoping maybe there is something other than a complete overhaul... maybe something to try before I send it off to the wrecking yard... its not quite worth putting a new tranny in.. but the vehicle is still in good shape.... any suggestions or comments as to what may be wrong would be appretiated... thanks so much...

Joe

Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Have you had the van checked for any transmission codes, like P0944 loss of prime? You could have a leaking low reverse cover seal. But thats just a guess without any facts. I will move your post to the minivan section. You will get more response there.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Digger 89L
Amateur

Had a similar issue this summer ...turned out to be the "shift solenoid control module" ....got a new one off ebay for $30, and installed it myself. Also did the transmission oil filter at the same time. Works great now. You might trying running some SeaFoam TransTune in the transmission ...if it frees up the shift solenoids, that may pinpoint the problem. I KNOW ...I KNOW ...the purists will say all additives are snake oil ...but I've had good results with SeaFoam in the past.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 AM
joepilot40

Thanks Digger, It sound like changing the shift solenoid control module is a cost effective thing to do before I give up... Is that something that is located easily without transmission removal?

Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fluid level ok? Getting a check engine light? Have you checked for codes as MT suggested?

Old 11-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Digger 89L
Amateur

yes....the solenoid unit is on the front lower right hand side (facing the engine from the front) of the transmission. It is covered by a thick rubber sound deadening cover. You have to remove the airfilter box to get at it. Don't know if you'll luck out like I did and find an inexpensive one on eBay, but if you look around you can likely get a deal. They usually fail because they get clogged up with dirty oil deposits ...so worthwhile doing a transmission oil and filter change as well. Some people have reported success solving the problem with a transmission flush and oil & filter change only, so that might be the way to start.

Quick Reply: 1996 grand caravan tranny issues