Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

09 Caravan towing question - need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Daleford
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Caravan towing question - need advice please

I never really got an answer to this on another thread so I'll start over. I am towing a 2000GVW trailer with a 09 Caravan SE, 4 speed automatic. I have installed a trans cooler.
What gear do I tow in???? I understand that I should keep it out of overdrive. When I smack the shift lever to the left it comes out of "D" and shows a "4". Is that the one to tow with??
Somebody please help as I am towing today.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Daleford
Amateur

Help Help

Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Daleford
Amateur

Giving this one more bump........... before I give up.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's always the last resort... the dreaded dealership.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Daleford
Amateur

I'm 1000 miles from my dealership. I suppose I can find another but was hoping to get a quick answer here.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:15 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

most likely the rated be 1500lbs. now with the tow package. engine cooler,trans cooler, shocks, etc that the put on can go to 3500lbs but still need equip the trailer with torsion bar system. now only veriable is the engine you have is probably not also rated for the higher capacity. all depends on other veriables such as are you going step inclines and down hill because the brakes and engine can only take so much. short distance probably my guess would work. hard to say.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Daleford
Amateur

OK But what about my gear question?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put it in drive. The computer will make sure you are in the right gear for the need. Not sure where some of you have come up with your numbers, but a properly equipped Caravan tows 3500lbs easily and safely.

You do NOT need any special hitch for towing. No torsion bars/load leveling hitches/sway control. They are nice and do make a difference, but not required.

You must upgrade the rear suspension for frequent towing, but for once/twice a year don't worry too much, just load carefully.

As for the engine, they do not mind higher loads/RPMs, let the van do the work. Don't overdrive it either. Don't be afraid of letting it run 5K RPM for that steep hill for a short while (30 seconds or so). Don't be afraid of towing, just be mindful.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Daleford
Amateur

Originally Posted by b1lk1
Just put it in drive. The computer will make sure you are in the right gear for the need. Not sure where some of you have come up with your numbers, but a properly equipped Caravan tows 3500lbs easily and safely.

You do NOT need any special hitch for towing. No torsion bars/load leveling hitches/sway control. They are nice and do make a difference, but not required.

You must upgrade the rear suspension for frequent towing, but for once/twice a year don't worry too much, just load carefully.

As for the engine, they do not mind higher loads/RPMs, let the van do the work. Don't overdrive it either. Don't be afraid of letting it run 5K RPM for that steep hill for a short while (30 seconds or so). Don't be afraid of towing, just be mindful.
Finally an answer Thanks for that! I like everything you are saying and agree, except for the "just put it in drive". A couple mechanic friends say there will be a strain on the overdrive if you are forcing it in and out. They tell me 4th is OK on a downhill but manually shift to 3 when I get to the bottom. Keep in mind one friend is a Ford guy and the other a GM. Please tell me you are a Chrysler mechanic and all will be well. LOL

Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly, I am not. I have put over 50,000 KM on my transmission towing like this. My van had 120,000KM on it when I got it. the 2002 was not known for strong transmissions. I just use common sense and care. I never manually shift my van. You don't need it slowing down as a 2000GVW trailer should have electric brakes. If it does not, it should get them installed if you're using it often. Either way, no real problem running in 4th, I would not recommend engine braking though.

Quick Reply: 09 Caravan towing question - need advice please