Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 dodge caravan ANTI-THEFT PROBLEMS. Wont go into Park or Neutral?? HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 PM
caseyscustoms
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge caravan ANTI-THEFT PROBLEMS. Wont go into Park or Neutral?? HELP PLEASE!!

i was given a 1999 dodge caravan by a friend of mine, it sat for 3-4 years because it needed an alternator. they were tired of having it in the way, well after i threw a new belt and alternator in it was running and driving just fine. i drove it to the car wash and around town a couple places maybe 10 miles at the most, and then i wanted to see if the key fob worked. i locked it and unlocked it and it works fine.....

now heres where the problem starts, i left it locked and hopped in 15-20 min later and forgot it was locked so the alram was going off like crazy. no big deal i just hit the unlock button and put my key in the ignition and the alarm went off, well the problem is now the caravan wont go into Park or Neutral to let it start. it seems like its in anti-theft mode. i have unhooked the battery, tried to resest the dash, everything. i even bought a new transmisison control module and installed it...NOTHING, its obviously not that. it has to be the anti-theft, can somebody PLEASE PLEASE HELP

its currently stranded at my dads house.i really dont want to take this to the dealer and spend a couple hundred bucks on a van thats not worth it. thanks in advance guys

sorry i relized i posted this in the wrong seciton, dang newbies..

i was given a 1999 dodge caravan by a friend of mine, it sat for 3-4 years because it needed an alternator. they were tired of having it in the way, well after i threw a new belt and alternator in it was running and driving just fine. i drove it to the car wash and around town a couple places maybe 10 miles at the most, and then i wanted to see if the key fob worked. i locked it and unlocked it and it works fine.....

now heres where the problem starts, i left it locked and hopped in 15-20 min later and forgot it was locked so the alram was going off like crazy. no big deal i just hit the unlock button and put my key in the ignition and the alarm went off, well the problem is now the caravan wont go into Park or Neutral to let it start. it seems like its in anti-theft mode. i have unhooked the battery, tried to resest the dash, everything. i even bought a new transmisison control module and installed it...NOTHING, its obviously not that. it has to be the anti-theft, can somebody PLEASE PLEASE HELP

its currently stranded at my dads house.i really dont want to take this to the dealer and spend a couple hundred bucks on a van thats not worth it. thanks in advance guys

lol..I will move this to the proper section for you.

heh you would be lucky if its only couple hundred and it a dealer. What gear is it in if its not letting you in park or neutral? I've read alot about the anti theft since I am currently in a similar situation with my 2002. Its either the ecm on mine or the anti theft is keeping it from starting mine won't crank at all. I haven't read one thing in all my research about the anti theft locking you out of park or neutral. I've read things from it will start and shut down after a few seconds to the engine won't crank at all.

Last edited by master tech; 04-05-2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: posted twice for the same problem

Quick Reply: 1999 dodge caravan ANTI-THEFT PROBLEMS. Wont go into Park or Neutral?? HELP PLEASE!!