Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Questions about a 2011 or newer SXT and camping in it

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 PM
dodgeballer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about a 2011 or newer SXT and camping in it

Hello! 1st post!

Am new to both Dodges and minivans. On a lark, I checked out a new 2013 SXT at the local dealer's showroom. Those Stow 'n Go seats are GENIUS!

I'm thinking of getting a new or, preferrably, used SXT so that I can get the flat floor to move building supplies (planning a house reno this year) and so that I can treat the minivan as a portable TENT on vacation road trips. I'm thinking that I can sleep on a mattress or a bed that I will build on top of the flat floor.

I'm writing to ask:

1) am I right that a 2011 or newer SXT model is best because of the 3.6L Pentastar engine? (better HP and gas mileage too than the previous engine combos)

2) a 2011 model should have some depreciation factored in and I can save a few dollars and have a vehicle that is very similar to a 2013?

3) am I crazy to think that I can sleep in a minivan on road trips?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:02 AM
vonJaerschky
Amateur

The only question I can answer for sure is #3. Works great as a place to sleep!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:42 AM
mheebner

The 3.6 Pentastar definitley has more HP but I dont really see any noticeable MPG difference than any of the other years I've owned (2004, 2008, 2012).

My wife and I have slept on an air mattress in the back of our 2008 when our tent pole snapped one night camping with heavy rain. A little tight for two put it was no problem.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeballer
Hello! 1st post!

Am new to both Dodges and minivans. On a lark, I checked out a new 2013 SXT at the local dealer's showroom. Those Stow 'n Go seats are GENIUS!

I'm thinking of getting a new or, preferrably, used SXT so that I can get the flat floor to move building supplies (planning a house reno this year) and so that I can treat the minivan as a portable TENT on vacation road trips. I'm thinking that I can sleep on a mattress or a bed that I will build on top of the flat floor.

I'm writing to ask:

1) am I right that a 2011 or newer SXT model is best because of the 3.6L Pentastar engine? (better HP and gas mileage too than the previous engine combos)

2) a 2011 model should have some depreciation factored in and I can save a few dollars and have a vehicle that is very similar to a 2013?

3) am I crazy to think that I can sleep in a minivan on road trips?
1) the 3.6 has a little more usable power than 3.8 and a lot more than 3.3. However a number of magazine comparison tests showed that the optional 4.0L SOHC found in earlier years (with 35 less horsepower) actually outruns the new 3.6. This is because torque and power under the curve (powerband) mean more than peak advertised horsepower. Max horsepower rating is very misleading and should not be used to predict performance. The 3.6 power band is very steep so it is weaker on torque below 3000 RPM compared to 3.8 or 4.0. My 3.8 spends about 95% of it's time under 2750RPM, so max horsepower at 5K RPM is not in any way impacting the driver on hills. The transmission remains in 6th gear, loafing on the steepest turnpike mountain climbs in Pennsylvania. You really shouldn't compare peak horsepower of a DOHC motor to a pushrod powerplant to compare power potential because pushrod torque rules at lower RPM's which are seen most of the time. High-winding Asian powerplants with impressive peak numbers get punished by classic pushrod Corvette and Mustang motors with far less peak HP.

The gas mileage is not "night and day" between the various motors. The highway mileage is about 2 MPG better on the 3.6 over earlier engines. If you drive all highway, you may see 10% better economy over prior engines. If you drive suburban or city, the difference in economy is negligible. My 2008 3.8 SXT gets 19-20 city and 22 to 24 highway. For daily short trip commute in mixed 75% city/ 25% highway driving and hilly PA terrain, it gets 20.5 average. In flatter regions like Ohio, it does about 1MPG better.

The 3.8 has more than enough power for a minivan. Mine seldom sees half throttle and it has tons of torque, so it does not downshift and rev annoyingly when going up hills. It will lay rubber if you want. I found the 3.3 to be somewhat underpowered. It is OK, but definitely not for folks who drive aggressively. I own both and either will cruise over 90MPH all day, if you wish.

2) The resale value of Grand Caravan is very good when only a couple years old. I seriously doubt if you can save much buying a 2011 compared to brand new. You will just forfeit vehicle life and risk somebody neglected or wrecked it. A new 2013 can be bought for $21K and premium models are selling for under $25K. If you want to save significant money, I'd suggest 2008-2010 SXT with 3.8 motors selling in the $9K-$12K range. You won't find a 4.0L because they are too rare.

3) I have camped in Grand Caravan for 15 years. A Queen Size air bag and double sleeping bag will fit on the floor. You will have about 2 feet behind the front seats to store stuff with the bed installed. Everything you carry with you needs to be moved to the front seat and floor area each night which is a bit of a hassle. If you're not carrying lots of cargo, that is a non-issue. Obviously things like bicycles will need to be let outside to sleep. The main problem I find is inside temperature. If it's more than 70 degrees outside or sunny, you will cook. Leaving the windows open with no screens can really attract bugs. Tents have screen windows, so I've always considered making a couple screens to fit the window openings. Since the big windows roll down in the second row on 2008 and newer, screens make sense. Ebay sells cut-to-fit screens with Velcro border. I would probably make paper patterns then fabricate 1/4" hardboard frames that pop into place from the inside instead of gluing the velcro to the interior trim.

PS: As mentioned, the van is roomy enough for a couple who doesn't mind primitive life to camp and sleep. It is definitely drier than a tent, that's for sure. However on long road trips, you will be easily spending $200 per day for food and gas. I'm not clear why you'd want to save $50 sleeping in a van with a sore back and stinking. You will find yourself driving out of your way to find a truck stop or place where you will be safe and not be towed or ticketed. I've done it, sometimes it takes an hour or more to find a suitable spot to park and that results in wasted gas money and time. I'd rather get out of the van and pay $50 for a handy room in the Hotel 6 to shower, brush my teeth, walk around and watch some TV. I've spent more than that for beer and food.

Last edited by Lscman; 04-14-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Questions about a 2011 or newer SXT and camping in it