Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Grand Caravan SE oil pressure sensor leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:11 PM
GirlyGreaseMonkey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2000 Grand Caravan SE oil pressure sensor leak

Alright. Heard some spurting from the engine area the other day. Didn't take much to see it was the oil pressure sensor. Replaced it, just like I was taught, tef tape and all that. Gave her oil and started her up, still leaking (more of a constant flow really), not as bad as before though. Re-replaced it, this time using tape and copper/silicone sealant on the outer half of the threads. STILL going.

Today I went out, scrubbed the whole frickin' area. No cracks (unless it's hiding under the powdercoating somewhere), no missing threads.

I even gave her the obligatory curse or two.

Am letting her drain as much as possible before giving it another shot. If that doesn't do it, it's off to the shop with her.

I would really like to avoid that particular bill, especially considering I should be able to do this myself.

The car has a 3.3L V6, no oil gauge on dash, and has been properly maintained since it was first purchased from the dealer, dude gave me all the receipts, and I checked them.

Advice would be awesome, because I'm at the end of my rope on this one. it feels like I'm !

Old 04-11-2013, 07:12 PM
GirlyGreaseMonkey

OH, I also can't really afford to send her to the shop, that would be a my biggest reason for trying to fix it.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Either the oil filter is double gasket or the timing cover is leaking. Get engine dye and add it to the engine, And with a black light, you should be able to find the leak.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:50 PM
GirlyGreaseMonkey
Default Oi!

Well, it isn't the oil filter. I just checked that this morning after seeing your reply, for which I thank you very much.

I guess that means she's slated for so major engine repair. ;/

Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I would add the engine dye and see where the leak is coming from. It maybe something easy.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 PM
GirlyGreaseMonkey

That is the first thing on my list, just to confirm. I'm praying to the car gods that it's something easy. I really don't want to do a tear down in this weather :/

Thank you so much for your help. Will update after I hunt the leak down.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:15 PM
GirlyGreaseMonkey

The dye confirms it. It is the timing cover gasket, right next to the pressure sensor.

Quick question though, where is the radiator drain plug? I can't seem to find it, and most of the other forums I have found online say to just take off the lower radiator hose...Are the drain plugs on this type of van prone to stripping out? It would be helpful to know, as I'm not really looking forward to a Dex-Cool bath.

Quick Reply: 2000 Grand Caravan SE oil pressure sensor leak