Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Engine stalls when it reaches operating temp

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:04 PM
BeloAvrgJoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalls when it reaches operating temp (resolved)

08 GC SXT with the 3.8. Mileage is right under 100k. Problem began a few weeks ago. When the motor is cold it runs just fine. When temp reaches normal range it will begin to stall. If I am stopped it will die, if I am moving with my foot on the gas it will hesitate and continue to hesitate until I stop and it dies.

It only stalls when in forward gear and at regular operating temp. In Park, Neutral, and Reverse it runs and revs with no problems even at temp.

When it dies, it clears all codes, there is nothing to read. I know this because before it started I had a P0404 code for the EGR. When it stalled the first time the check engine light went out and no code was present, not even the P0404 that was there before the stall (used the key dance to check the code).

When it dies, the ASD relay clicks repeatedly. Swapped relays with no change in symptoms or clicking.

I have noticed that if I disconnect the battery, it will run for longer after it is reconnected before symptoms begin again.

I found this thread with some similarities:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...gine-dies.html

After reading that thread and a few others, I have changed the crankshaft position sensor (problem remains) and have a new camshaft position sensor ready to change this weekend.

If the problem still remains then according to the other threads the next step is the PCM which is more money than a couple sensors.

Is there anything else I am missing that I can check before jumping to the PCM?

Thanks

Last edited by BeloAvrgJoe; 05-30-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Update title
Old 05-09-2013, 11:58 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Um... you should consider spending a diagnostic fee at a reputable shop or dealer instead of doing Trial and Error method.
I hardly see these PCM goes bad. And I don't see how does Fail PCM connect with Engine Temp.

It sounds like you are having a electrical problem.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Montreal300
Professional

I would think that the stall problem is related to when the engine comes off of open loop control and goes to closed. While in open mode, the PCM is running the engine from a set of internal tables and ignores some sensors. When it gets warm enough, the PCM goes to glosed loop and uses the sensors for managing operations. For example, at startup, the PCM uses an internal table to manage air fuel mixture. Once warmed up, the O2 sensors and a few others are brought into the picture to control A/F ratios.
Get yourself a good code reader, one that tells you if the system is "emissions test ready". This will tell you sensor status as they are brought online.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If ANYTHING on the 5 volt circuit shorts to ground internally, you will see noticeable symptoms. If this is what's going on, and the PCM memory gets wiped out when it happens (which is usually the case) you may just have to go trial and error. Get the codes pulled and write them down FIRST. There may be some stored.

If it's related to heat AND that 5V circuit, you're main players are the crank sensor, cam sensor, and if the coolant temp sensor in yours is one of those plastic ones (can't remember for sure) then it is a player too. ASD is a PCM output, so focussing on IT as your root cause may be going the wrong direction.

In any case though be sure to include checking grounds, check the grounds and then.... check grounds.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-11-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 PM
BeloAvrgJoe

Just posting a follow up. Just realized I listed the van as an 08 when it is actually an 07. Anyways, Using the information posted above as a starting point, the problem was traced back to a faulty PCM. It has been replaced and the problem symptoms have not returned.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies and information.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Good job everyone! I would recommend the same information.

Quick Reply: Engine stalls when it reaches operating temp