Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Intermittent oil leak create smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 03:09 PM
haileymon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent oil leak create smoke

Last summer on a road trip, our 99 Grand Caravan 3.3L billowed smoke out of the engine compartment and left wheel well when we stopped at a fuel stop. It did it several times then no more. I figured the valve cover gaskets were shot or loose (155k) and had puked some oil on the exhaust header. This winter we had the valve cover gaskets replaced and the van has been Nashville to FL and back and Nashville to Chicago and back with no smoke. We thought the problem was solved. Then yesterday on a return trip from FL it happened again. Two stops. At one of the stops I could see oil dripping on the ground on the driver's side. Then, next four stops...nothing. Oil level was good. Down maybe less than 1/4. The times that its done this it has been hot outside. Last year it was approaching 100 degrees, yesterday it was 91. On the subsequent stops, the temp had dropped to the mid-to-high 70's. No codes, no idiot lights, temp gauge stays stable at 1/2 scale.
Any ideas? Temp related or coincidence? Is there a thermo controlled oil cooler? Possible loose hose-clamp?
Thanks for any knowledge...

Old 05-19-2013, 03:12 PM
haileymon

Oh, I could see wet oil on the driver's side of the engine but could not get my eyes on anything that looked like the source.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:13 PM
haileymon

Had a chance to get the van off the ground and crawl under with a flashlight. Found nothing. Back side of engine is clean and dry. Nothing on header or crossover pipe. Looks like maybe a xmission pan gasket leak, but very slight. (xmission fluid levels haven't changed in months. Never have to add any. I found nothing wet or dirty up high enough to drip on the crossover or either header. I am at a loss as to where a leak could be that would drip, occasionally, when run at freeway speeds on hot days, on anything that would make smoke.
Nobody ever saw this before?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

if its smoking it must be getting onto the exhaust. I would suspect areas that are wet, pcv valve?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:24 PM
haileymon

The smoke comes from the engine compartment, billowing out the drivers front wheel well. The van is in the shop now for some brake work and tyre rotation. The wrench there says the Solenoid Shift Pack may be bad and puking transmission fluid when hot. I guess its under the air box so I couldn't see it on my exploratory expedition.
Anyone seen this happen? Is this a failure mode for this part?
They want around $350 to change it out and replace the transmission pan gasket. If the part is $220-ish, that's probably not too bad - IF - that is the problem. I've had no shifting problems...
Thanks for any input...

Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 PM
haileymon

Where is PCV on this engine?

Old 05-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are frequent posts on several forums about leaking solenoid packs. In that respect it may be considered a "frequent problem". I don't recall it creating smoke but that doesn't mean it couldn't. You can get packs for less but that's still a reasonable price for the works.

Here's a video on the subject. Even they have a hard time getting a clear view of the pack:

There's pictures in this thread showing the location of the PCV valve on a 97 3.8 ltr. Yours should be the same. http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...PCV-repalcment

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-23-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 PM
haileymon

Thanks! This is great.
This looks like it could be the source of the general leakage/drip. Not sure how it would get on the exhaust though. Spousal unit is pressuring me to just let them swap out the Solenoid Pack.

Quick Reply: Intermittent oil leak create smoke