Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear Evaporator on Grand Caravan 2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:52 AM
zero10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it looks like my 2005 Grand Caravan has finally suffered from this failure as well. Frequent hissing noise when running the A/C from the expansion valve area, reduced cooling and oil is present on the block where the rear evaporator lines pass through the body behind the rear wheel.

I just want to make sure I have the correct idea of what I need to do to fix this problem. I searched around here and found a thread where Tizzy1 tells somebody to check with the dealer regarding their 2005 Grand Caravan to see if the F01 labor code applies - it is phrased as if this is basically just checking to see if Dodge will warranty the repair, and that even though not explicitly included in the recall some 2005s may be covered. Does this advice apply to people in Canada? It sure would be nice if I didn't have to pay to fix this

I have searched for the warranty repair kit Tizzy mentioned here and it seems that contains the evaporator, expansion valve and a couple of O-rings. Is it common that replacing the rear evaporator is necessary? I was under the impression that the leak is usually in the extension tubes from the underbody lines to the rear evaporator and not in the evaporator or expansion valve itself. I thought that these parts were protected from the elements inside the body of the van?

In the service bulletin there is a note:
NOTE: Refer to the I-sheet K6855691 for rear heater-A/C housing modification
instructions.
What is the I-sheet? I can't find any references to this on the internet other than this bulletin, I would like to know what modifications are necessary

Last, I think I have found the part number for the extension tubes, 5183256AA, is this the right one for my 2005 Grand Caravan? I found some sites that suggest that the extension tube is the same through all the 4th gen vans with rear A/C, but I can't find any parts sites that list fitment information so I can verify it does fit my 2005.

Any help would be appreciated, my kids and my very pregnant wife are getting quite unhappy about the lack of A/C since I refuse to run it low on refrigerant.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2005 caravan is a rear a/c unit all to itself. 2001 - 2004 are the same. 2005 is by itself and 2006 - 2007 are together. The underbody lines were involved in a recall. If they are leaking again, it is possible the dealer will cover them again. It is also possible the extension tubes rotted out, very common. This would not be covered by the recall but only requires the extension tubes to be replaced. The extension tubes are different depending on weather you have stow and go seating or not. The part number for stow and go is 5139726AA

Last edited by Tizzy1; 06-17-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 AM
zero10
Professional

Of course the 2005 would be totally different, that is just my sort of luck And yes, mine is a stow and go model, looks like that doubles the cost of the extension tubes.

It does not seem to be the underbody lines that have rotted out but I want to make sure I've named the parts properly. The lines under the van that run from the front to the back, these are the underbody lines correct? They run to some threaded fittings behind the rear wheel, then bend and proceed up into a rectangular block. From those fittings up to the block would be considered the extension tubes, yes?

That block is soaked in refrigerant oil and when I put my sniffer on the top side of the block it goes off. I can't seem to get a good view of what is up there and parts diagrams are severely lacking in the detail I'm looking for. How far in do the tubes go? The lines only run a few inches before going into this block, does the extension tube end at the block, with the evaporator being on the other side? Or is this just some retention mechanism and the lines run up through the floor into the van?

The underbody lines are original, they have definitely not been replaced at any point so if they were recalled I still have the originals, but it doesn't sound like that is going to work to my advantage at all here.

Do I need to remove the whole rear hvac assembly to replace the extension tubes? The factory service manual seems to indicate that I do. If it is necessary that takes this from a quick job to a multi-hour dissassemble the whole back of the van type of job and I'll have to have the system evacuated, then repair it myself, then have it charged rather than just having the shop swap the parts since it's there already.

Do you know what housing modification is being recommended in the service bulletin I found? I wonder if there is some easier way to access the bits I need to get to. Here is the link I found for it: https://cda.extra.chrysler.com/icon/...es/2400509.pdf

Thanks so much for all the help!

Last edited by zero10; 06-17-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

so your underbody lines look like the ones in the picture in the bulletin? Cause that's not what '05 lines look like. Can I get the last 8 numbers of your vin? You can PM them to me if you want. Then I can look up what you have and tell you exactly what you need.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 AM
zero10
Professional

Suddenly I am doubting my memory on what my lines look like. I'll check tonight when I get home as I'm at work right now and am away from the van. I'll try to snap some pictures as well in case there is any confusion when I describe things.

I know the lines under the van are original, I talked to the previous owner who owned the van since it was 1 year old and he went through every thing that had been done on the van and there has never been any A/C or heater work done.

The last 8 digits of my VIN are 5B391672

Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Ok, it is a 2005, the underbody lines were replaced on March 22, 2006. So the lines run under the vehicle to the right rear corner where there is a junction block with a stud and nut. The underbody lines attach to the extension tubes there and they run through the floor and up to the expansion valve. The liquid line (smaller line) corrodes on the extension tubes just above the junction and leak or the liquid line leaks at the line crimp just below the oring on the underbody lines where they connect to the extension tubes. If it is the crimp leaking, I replace them again under the F01 recall. If it is the extension tubes leaking, then it is your baby and you need the part number I gave you earlier. You do have to remove the rear housing partially to install the tubes but there are no modifications needed on your model, that is for the newer style.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:47 PM
zero10
Professional

Hilarious - the lines were replaced just weeks before the previous owner bought the van as he picked it up in April 2006. The first owner had it for only 1 year so I didn't think they could have possibly been done before, but it looks like I was completely wrong.

So if it is the underbody lines leaking it should be leaking below the junction block, and if it is the extension tubes it will leak above the junction block? It looks like the junction block is part of the extension tube set, or maybe I am looking at the parts diagram wrong?

When you say partially remove the rear housing, does that mean I need to drain the engine coolant as well?

Thanks so much for all the help!

Old 06-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

The block with the stud on it is part of the extension tubes, and your assumptions are correct, below the block, underbody lines, above the block, extension tubes.

Partially remove because I don't disconnect the heater hoses. Unbolt it from the body and then just lay it over and do it in the vehicle.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 AM
zero10
Professional

It would appear that I am completely stupid when it comes to remembering what parts are on my van. I was looking over parts diagrams for a good part of the morning and apparently doing that erased what I had seen on my van from my mind and replaced it with something else. There are no threaded fittings behind the rear wheel, the lines are continuous right up until the block on the extension tubes.

For further diagnosis I said I would take pictures last night and here they are - in my opinion it looks pretty conclusive that I'm in for a set of extension tubes. Would you agree?

https://i.imgur.com/oeHSt8P.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yHTY3lx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jqSpJ5P.jpg

Thanks so much for all of your help. I'll be calling around to see who has the best price on a set of extension tubes and if any dealerships will do the installation for a reasonable price. If not, I guess I'll find an A/C shop to discharge the system, swap the lines then have them recharge it (this seems like the most probable route to me).

On a side note, I'm really surprised to see that the lines are held into the block with a plastic block and a ziptie all held up with a single nut. I'm used to working on 80's A/C systems and everything is big threaded fittings or solid metal blocks with multiple bolts.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Evaporator on Grand Caravan 2007-oehst8pl.jpg   Rear Evaporator on Grand Caravan 2007-jqspj5pl.jpg   Rear Evaporator on Grand Caravan 2007-yhty3lxl.jpg  

Last edited by zero10; 06-19-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

The block on the underbody lines is aluminum and the zip tie just holds the lines in the block until they are installed, then it is not even needed. Labor to install the extension tubes is 2.0 hrs plus evacuation and recharge. That should help a little on your price shopping.

Quick Reply: Rear Evaporator on Grand Caravan 2007